Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Milling polycarbonate

I have a little project where I want to mill some holes and slots in
1/8" Lexan (polycarbonate).

What is the best way to do it. Really fast feeds, medium speeds, and
lots of coolant?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 12:20:18 -0500, Ignoramus24760
wrote:

I have a little project where I want to mill some holes and slots in
1/8" Lexan (polycarbonate).

What is the best way to do it. Really fast feeds, medium speeds, and
lots of coolant?

Make a sandwich is the key, AL on top and below. Then speeds and
feeds for AL. HSS works better here.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus24760 wrote:

I have a little project where I want to mill some holes and slots in
1/8" Lexan (polycarbonate).

What is the best way to do it. Really fast feeds, medium speeds, and
lots of coolant?

Clean all the oil from the tools and fixtures, as polycarb will craze form oil.
(Do not use emulsion coolant either.)

Use lots straight tap water as a coolant. Go as fast as you can without the
polycarb softening from the heat.

Polycarb can be a bit grabby.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-03, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus24760 wrote:

I have a little project where I want to mill some holes and slots in
1/8" Lexan (polycarbonate).

What is the best way to do it. Really fast feeds, medium speeds, and
lots of coolant?

Clean all the oil from the tools and fixtures, as polycarb will craze form oil.
(Do not use emulsion coolant either.)

Use lots straight tap water as a coolant. Go as fast as you can without the
polycarb softening from the heat.

Polycarb can be a bit grabby.

Joe, I have my chip shield made from polycarbonate. It sees plenty of
oil, but does not seem to craze?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 3, 1:50*pm, Ignoramus24760 ignoramus24...@NOSPAM.
On 2010-09-03, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,
*Ignoramus24760 wrote:

I have a little project where I want to mill some holes and slots in
1/8" Lexan (polycarbonate).

What is the best way to do it. Really fast feeds, medium speeds, and
lots of coolant?

Clean all the oil from the tools and fixtures, as polycarb will craze form oil. *
(Do not use emulsion coolant either.)

Use lots straight tap water as a coolant. * Go as fast as you can without the
polycarb softening from the heat.

Polycarb can be a bit grabby.

Joe, I have my chip shield made from polycarbonate. It sees plenty of
oil, but does not seem to craze?

i- Hide quoted text -

Window-grade stuff has an anti-scratch coating on it, which may slow
things down. Anywhere you've got a hole that's exposed to oil,
though, it'll start cracking eventually. Won't be instantaneous.
Doesn't necessarily have to be mineral-based oil, either, have a look
at how many Stir-Crazies are in the thrift shops without tops,
vegetable oil did them in.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

On 2010-09-03, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus24760 wrote:

I have a little project where I want to mill some holes and slots in
1/8" Lexan (polycarbonate).

What is the best way to do it. Really fast feeds, medium speeds, and
lots of coolant?

Clean all the oil from the tools and fixtures, as polycarb will craze form
oil.
(Do not use emulsion coolant either.)

Use lots straight tap water as a coolant. Go as fast as you can without
the
polycarb softening from the heat.

Polycarb can be a bit grabby.

Joe, I have my chip shield made from polycarbonate. It sees plenty of
oil, but does not seem to craze?

Hmm. Good point. The chip shield on my lathe is none the worse for wear
either.

I may be mixing polycarb up with acrylic. Unless the heat of machining allows
the oil to get deeper into the material.

I did a little looking:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...arbonate-19645
9/.

It is the acrylic that is so oil sensitive. But still, water is the best
coolant.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

Joe, I have my chip shield made from polycarbonate. It sees plenty of
oil, but does not seem to craze?

Hmm. Good point. The chip shield on my lathe is none the worse for wear
either.

I may be mixing polycarb up with acrylic. Unless the heat of machining allows
the oil to get deeper into the material.

I did a little looking:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...arbonate-19645
9/.

It is the acrylic that is so oil sensitive. But still, water is the best
coolant.

Joe Gwinn

Lexan is the one that will craze like crazy.

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:
Lexan is the one that will craze like crazy.

Lexan is a brand name (GE's ?) of polycarbonate. Bob

It's the only one I have any direct experience with.

One windshield crazed (almost to dust) the first time
it got a little gas on it.

The replacement didn't and still flies.

Both surfaces are not always treated.
And it seems to matter which way the sheet is bent.

Bending the surface away from the solvent (ok, solvent contacting
a convex (treated!) surface?) will react badly and quickly.

Solvent contact on the concave side, not so reactive.

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a little project where I want to mill some holes and slots in
1/8" Lexan (polycarbonate).

What is the best way to do it. Really fast feeds, medium speeds, and
lots of coolant?

Make a sandwich is the key, AL on top and below. Then speeds and
feeds for AL. HSS works better here.

Karl

i just read the rest of your thread...

I didn't mention I run this dry. The AL does two things - holds the
Lexan firm for no chipping top and bottom, and its a great heat sink
so you don't get any melting.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-03, CaveLamb wrote:
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

Joe, I have my chip shield made from polycarbonate. It sees plenty of
oil, but does not seem to craze?

Hmm. Good point. The chip shield on my lathe is none the worse for wear
either.

I may be mixing polycarb up with acrylic. Unless the heat of machining allows
the oil to get deeper into the material.

I did a little looking:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...arbonate-19645
9/.

It is the acrylic that is so oil sensitive. But still, water is the best
coolant.

Joe Gwinn

Lexan is the one that will craze like crazy.

I have come polycarbonate junk, I will try to machine it today.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,

On 2010-09-03, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus24760 wrote:

[...]

Igor,

I've milled plenty of acrylic using the Hansterfer S500 coolant that you
have and there has been no crazing in any of it. Some of the parts date
back nearly 3 years and I'd guess that would be enough time for crazing to
become visible..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-03, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus24760 wrote:

[...]

Mike, I totally love that coolant. It is the best!

Has yours started to rot or stink yet?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-03, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus24760 wrote:

[...]

Nope, even the change out that's been drying it in 5-gal bucks for the past
few months has no odor. I use de-ionized water to dilute it though, and the
lack of minerals may inhibit biological growth.

Cutting polycarbonate sheet David WE Roberts[_2_] UK diy 12 April 16th 10 08:36 AM
CA Glue and Polycarbonate Glasses Francis Harrison Woodturning 3 November 23rd 08 10:26 PM
Lexan polycarbonate Source... John No Woodworking 1 January 31st 06 05:02 PM
polycarbonate Dave Home Repair 6 January 18th 06 02:31 AM
Musing about up milling, down milling, shearing and scraping. Arch Woodturning 10 February 6th 05 08:11 PM