Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Homemade diesel hammer???

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 14:32:38 -0500, Ignoramus7071
wrote:

I was at a construction site with my 4 year old son. It was like a
heaven for him, both heavy duty construction and railroad in one
place. But I digress.

What I saw there, very amazing to see up close, was a diesel
hammer. Type "diesel hammer" in youtube to see what it is like or see
this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84IxOAndZnc

I actually took a video of it yesterday, up close, it was a much
closer look than what I saw on youtube. If anyone is interested, I can
post it.

Anyway, today I thought, what if I make a smaller version of a diesel
hammer, to be used for blacksmithing purposes. This may not be
neighbor friendly, but if it could be made to work (say 50 lbs
hammer), it would be awesome and would not require a heavy duty
compressor or electric supply.

Internal combustion hammers have been built in many sizes. the
Japanese used to build a small gasoline fueled hammer used as a hand
held tamper for earth works - 2 cycle too :-)

Cheers,

John B.
(johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-16, John B slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 14:32:38 -0500, Ignoramus7071
wrote:

[ ... ]

Internal combustion hammers have been built in many sizes. the
Japanese used to build a small gasoline fueled hammer used as a hand
held tamper for earth works - 2 cycle too :-)

What about the gasoline powered pogo stick? :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564