Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Now I've seen everything...

Over the weekend I was doing a bit of work involving some Powerstrut and
3/8" all-thread hanger rod. I bought 5 10' lengths of the all-thread and
was happily cutting 48" lengths and assembling with coupling nuts and
Powerstrut spring nuts.

I went to start assembling one section and the nut wouldn't thread on.
Expecting to find a burr left from cutting the all-thread with a
Sawzall, I looked closer, slowly turning the all-thread looking for the
burred or mashed thread start. After a couple revolutions without
finding the thread start, I looked even closer, putting a fingernail in
a grove and rotating the all-thread.

More rotation and my fingernail was not moving axially. Somehow, this
10' length of all-thread had a wee little mishap in the thread roller
and it rolled a nice series of groves - no helix at all. Impressive, and
good quality control.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

[...]

You'll find that from time to time in boxes of common machine screws, too. I
used to collect them, until I realized there was no good reason for it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

[...]

I've seen assorted screwed up ordinary screws before, but never a 10'
long one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/11/2010 8:55 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

You'll find that from time to time in boxes of common machine screws, too. I
used to collect them, until I realized there was no good reason for it.

When I worked at NASA Ames, the fellow that ran the AN hardware crib had
the most amazing collection of hardware with just about every
conceivable manufacturing goof represented.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

More rotation and my fingernail was not moving axially. Somehow, this
10' length of all-thread had a wee little mishap in the thread roller
and it rolled a nice series of groves - no helix at all. Impressive, and
good quality control.

I spent close to half an hour once running 1 1/4" pipe that just would not connect to the
next one in the string. Long lengths of pipe are shipped with a coupler on one end so you
can just put them up.

Finally, I take the coupler off on the far end of the pipe with the idea of chasing it
since there may be a burr. Looking down the hole, I saw left and right hand threads.
Someone had to have had a strange sense of humor to pull that chit.

Where would a left hand right hand coupler ever be used? If it hadn't happened to me, I'd
call bullchit on this.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:45:01 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

[...]

Ran into that once before in the supply bins at the maintenance garage
(my favorite scrounge supply at work). The garage supervisor had a lot
of fun with it at the expense of his supplier - they couldn't come up
with a nut for it!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 11, 7:03*pm, Wes wrote:
"Pete C." wrote:
[...]

New York subways use left-hand-threaded light bulbs to prevent theft.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

ROFLMAO!!!

A guy I know once bought 16 head bolts when rebuilding his truck engine.

half of them were just as you described.

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"Pete C." wrote:

More rotation and my fingernail was not moving axially. Somehow, this
10' length of all-thread had a wee little mishap in the thread roller
and it rolled a nice series of groves - no helix at all. Impressive, and
good quality control.

I spent close to half an hour once running 1 1/4" pipe that just would not connect to the
next one in the string. Long lengths of pipe are shipped with a coupler on one end so you
can just put them up.

Finally, I take the coupler off on the far end of the pipe with the idea of chasing it
since there may be a burr. Looking down the hole, I saw left and right hand threads.
Someone had to have had a strange sense of humor to pull that chit.

Where would a left hand right hand coupler ever be used? If it hadn't happened to me, I'd
call bullchit on this.

Wes

Reverse threaded couplers are used when you have two pipes that are
installed and cannot be rotated easily. You thread one with left hand
threads so that the coupler can be installed easily. The coupler will
connect up fine and join both pipes without needing to move either one.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-11, Wes wrote:
"Pete C." wrote:

More rotation and my fingernail was not moving axially. Somehow, this
10' length of all-thread had a wee little mishap in the thread roller
and it rolled a nice series of groves - no helix at all. Impressive, and
good quality control.

I spent close to half an hour once running 1 1/4" pipe that just would not connect to the
next one in the string. Long lengths of pipe are shipped with a coupler on one end so you
can just put them up.

Finally, I take the coupler off on the far end of the pipe with the idea of chasing it
since there may be a burr. Looking down the hole, I saw left and right hand threads.
Someone had to have had a strange sense of humor to pull that chit.

Where would a left hand right hand coupler ever be used? If it hadn't happened to me, I'd
call bullchit on this.

When making the final joint in pipes which are already mounted
at the other ends. You need a corresponding left-hand thread in the
pipe of course, but then you just separate the pipe ends a little, put
the coupler in between, and by turning it in one direction you tighten
it on both pipes.

Of course there are flange couplers which can be used in such
situations most of the time -- but if you don't have room for one, this
is the answer.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:03:59 -0400, Wes
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

More rotation and my fingernail was not moving axially. Somehow, this
10' length of all-thread had a wee little mishap in the thread roller
and it rolled a nice series of groves - no helix at all. Impressive, and
good quality control.

I spent close to half an hour once running 1 1/4" pipe that just would not connect to the
next one in the string. Long lengths of pipe are shipped with a coupler on one end so you
can just put them up.

Finally, I take the coupler off on the far end of the pipe with the idea of chasing it
since there may be a burr. Looking down the hole, I saw left and right hand threads.
Someone had to have had a strange sense of humor to pull that chit.

Where would a left hand right hand coupler ever be used? If it hadn't happened to me, I'd
call bullchit on this.

That pipe was originally destined for the left side of the Chrysler
building, Wes.