Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Control xfmr heats up to appx 120 degrees

The control transformer in my mill, heats up to about 120 degrees F,
is that normal or not?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus9618 wrote:

The control transformer in my mill, heats up to about 120 degrees F,
is that normal or not?

What's the ambient temperature? I suspect it's well within the allowable
temperature rise for a dry transformer. Presumably you have measured the
voltages and currents to ensure everything is within spec there?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus9618 fired this volley in
:

The control transformer in my mill, heats up to about 120 degrees F,
is that normal or not?

Decently made dry transformers were usually rated at a maximum 40C rise
above ambient. On your vintage of machine, I'd assume that item was a
piece of well-engineered iron, and not one of the copper and iron starved
transformers coming out of Mexico and Taiwan today.

So, it could reasonbly run 104F higher than ambient without harm.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 07:08:05 -0500, Ignoramus9618
wrote:

The control transformer in my mill, heats up to about 120 degrees F,
is that normal or not?

Ayup. Its in a closed box with a bunch of other ****, right?

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The control transformer in my mill, heats up to about 120 degrees F,
is that normal or not?

Ayup. Its in a closed box with a bunch of other ****, right?

yes

It is not closed right now, but it will eventually be closed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 11, 10:08*pm, Ignoramus9618
wrote:
The control transformer in my mill, heats up to about 120 degrees F,
is that normal or not?

Had to convert it to metric to understand, but......

The old rule is "If its too hot to touch, its too hot" - yours should
be OK.

But but but but........check that there are no electrolytic capacitors
nearby, lifespan is severely degraded by higher temperatures. And if
their rated at 85 degrees C, then upgrade to 105 degree C types.

(this falls under the title of "maintenance" which, as is well known,
everyone does with great attention to time and detail...not) hi hi

Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The control transformer in my mill, heats up to about 120 degrees F,
is that normal or not?

Ayup. Its in a closed box with a bunch of other ****, right?

yes

It is not closed right now, but it will eventually be closed.

Thats why cats and other critters sleep on top of TVs, radios, machinery
and other warm Stuff.

Transformers (and in the old days...tubes) making it nice and toasty for
them to nap

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The control transformer in my mill, heats up to about 120 degrees F,
is that normal or not?

Yes.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.copper.org/applications/e...fficiency.html

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The control transformer in my mill, heats up to about 120 degrees F,
is that normal or not?

Ayup. Its in a closed box with a bunch of other ****, right?

yes

It is not closed right now, but it will eventually be closed.

Thats why cats and other critters sleep on top of TVs, radios, machinery
and other warm Stuff.

Transformers (and in the old days...tubes) making it nice and toasty for
them to nap

Yep.

If the rated temp. rise for the transformer is 40 degrees C, right
around now an acceptable F temp. would be about 184. You're still 60+
below any time-to-worry-about-it temp.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Decently made dry transformers were usually rated at a maximum 40C rise
above ambient. ...

So, it could reasonbly run 104F higher than ambient without harm.

40C rise is 72F rise. The 32 degree offset does not apply to
differences of temperature.

Nitpicking - it's what I do,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt fired this volley in
:

Nitpicking - it's what I do,

Correct! (on both counts... duh!)

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
John Husvar wrote:

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:50:05 -0500, Ignoramus9618

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus9618 wrote:

The control transformer in my mill, heats up to about 120 degrees F,
is that normal or not?

Wow, that is running cool in this weather. Don't worry about it. Trust me. Toss an amp
meter on input to see loading if you are really worried. I'm sure you have scored an amp
clamp by now.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus9618 wrote:

The control transformer in my mill, heats up to about 120 degrees F,
is that normal or not?

As others have noted, that's within the temperature specs for most transformers.
However, I would find out why it's that warm. It may be a warning.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-11, Ignoramus9618 wrote:
The control transformer in my mill, heats up to about 120 degrees F,
is that normal or not?

I think that it is within reason.

You could mount a Rotron muffin fan directed at it to cool it a
bit if you are worried.

But what, specifically, are you calling the "control
transformer"? Is that the one powering all the relays and such? I
presume that you have measured the current being drawn, and compared it
to the specs? Is this one of the original transformers from the
machine, or is it one which you added in building your own supplies?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I measured it, actually the number is 140 degrees F.

Slightly more disconcerting.

Ambient is appx. 85.

That's a 30C rise.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 23:51:32 -0500, Ignoramus9618
wrote:

I measured it, actually the number is 140 degrees F.

Slightly more disconcerting.

Ambient is appx. 85.

That's a 30C rise.

Dont sweat it. You are fine.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-12, Ignoramus9618 wrote:
I measured it, actually the number is 140 degrees F.

Slightly more disconcerting.

Ambient is appx. 85.

That's a 30C rise.

Still within reason I believe.

What kind of load do you have on it -- and what are the ratings?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-12, Ignoramus9618 wrote:
I measured it, actually the number is 140 degrees F.

Slightly more disconcerting.

Ambient is appx. 85.

That's a 30C rise.

Still within reason I believe.

What kind of load do you have on it -- and what are the ratings?

Nothing much, the PPMC control box and the main power contactor.