Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Vehicle Electrical Troubleshooting

I'm about to dive back into my main convenience once again, last time
it took about 40 hours of work. Before the problem was that a diffuser
plate that protects the electrical from melting on the back of the
alternator had rusted off the exhaust manifold and then dropped down
and got caught by the main power to the alternator and the frame, thus
shorting out intermittently.

Does anyone know exactly what an alternator wants and when? The main
fusible link had melded down and I might have weakened / let out some
magic smoke while hooking up the main power after having the
alternator tested. Seems the main power is off till the engine is
running and I put it power all the time for a second or two. But, it
worked and was charging for a awhile and now the charge light is on
again. Tested with a meter when it was fixed and now, so the dummy
light is correct.

I got a stick and pushed the three lead plug in, thinking it might not
have snapped in, and it smoked a bit. Weird, but this thing is
operating in extreme conditions as in oil spray and sand. Maybe I
should just replace it once a year till the vehicle dies.

There was another intermittent thing I noticed when the whole vehicle
had its guts hanging out, that one of the two powers that go through
the ignition switch can be altered when moving the key back and forth.
Tried wiggling that to see if the light would go out.

I found one site that almost gave me what I needed. Where the three
wires go and the main power, but not when where and why. I'm pretty
sure the regulator is in the alternator, btw.

At the moment all I can think of is look over the wiring again and
have the alternator tested again, or maybe buy another, but afraid to
toast an new one cause I missed a short or something on this
nightmare.

SW