Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Putting a curve into a sheet metal U channel

I need to put about a 30 degree curve into a piece of sheet metal U channel,
curve needs to have a radius of 100mm.

Channel is 75mm wide x 15mm deep with 15mm flanges, made out of .75mm sheet.

I dont have access to rollers - not sure how they'd be any use. I've got an
hydraulic press brake, plus usual workshop tools.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 29, 5:40*am, "Why is everyone so cruel"
wrote:
I need to put about a 30 degree curve into a piece of sheet metal U channel,
curve needs to have a radius of 100mm.

Channel is 75mm wide x 15mm deep with 15mm flanges, made out of .75mm sheet.

I dont have access to rollers - not sure how they'd be any use. I've got an
hydraulic press brake, plus usual workshop tools.

First ? is- a curve which way?

Where the side walls form the inner and outer radii, or where the
bottom of the U is the inner or outer radius?

Then, U channel as in curved bottom of the U, or flat? ( U vs |
_| )

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Why is everyone so cruel" wrote in message
ond.com...
I need to put about a 30 degree curve into a piece of sheet metal U
channel, curve needs to have a radius of 100mm.

Channel is 75mm wide x 15mm deep with 15mm flanges, made out of .75mm
sheet.

I dont have access to rollers - not sure how they'd be any use. I've got
an hydraulic press brake, plus usual workshop tools.

Is it just one? Fabrication may be easier - cut, weld, grind...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I need to put about a 30 degree curve into a piece of sheet metal U channel,
curve needs to have a radius of 100mm.

Look for books on aircraft sheet metal fabrication.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Why is everyone so cruel" wrote in message
ond.com...
I need to put about a 30 degree curve into a piece of sheet metal U
channel, curve needs to have a radius of 100mm.

Channel is 75mm wide x 15mm deep with 15mm flanges, made out of .75mm
sheet.

I dont have access to rollers - not sure how they'd be any use. I've got
an hydraulic press brake, plus usual workshop tools.

You left out a really important bit of information........which way it
"curves". There are four simple possibilities, of which two are just
"handed", and the extreme difference between bending "in" or "out".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Why is everyone so cruel" wrote in message
ond.com...
I need to put about a 30 degree curve into a piece of sheet metal U
channel, curve needs to have a radius of 100mm.

Channel is 75mm wide x 15mm deep with 15mm flanges, made out of .75mm
sheet.

I dont have access to rollers - not sure how they'd be any use. I've got
an hydraulic press brake, plus usual workshop tools.

If you are bending the flanges this might work.
http://www.amazon.com/Woodward-Fab-S.../dp/B000E3BQHE
Bending the other way means fabbing it.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I need to put about a 30 degree curve into a piece of sheet metal U
channel,
curve needs to have a radius of 100mm.

Channel is 75mm wide x 15mm deep with 15mm flanges, made out of .75mm
sheet.

I dont have access to rollers - not sure how they'd be any use. I've got
an
hydraulic press brake, plus usual workshop tools.

First ? is- a curve which way?

Where the side walls form the inner and outer radii, or where the
bottom of the U is the inner or outer radius?

Then, U channel as in curved bottom of the U, or flat? ( U vs |
_| )

As Simpson says "DOH"

The curve is across the open top of the U, The flanges to be welded onto
adjacent steel with the curve.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 05:29:12 +1000, Why is everyone so cruel wrote:
"Dave__67" wrote
On Jul 29, 5:40 am, "Why is everyone so cruel" wrote:
I need to put about a 30 degree curve into a piece of sheet metal U
channel, curve needs to have a radius of 100mm.

Channel is 75mm wide x 15mm deep with 15mm flanges, made out of .75mm
sheet.

I dont have access to rollers - not sure how they'd be any use. I've
got an hydraulic press brake, plus usual workshop tools.

First ? is- a curve which way?

Where the side walls form the inner and outer radii, or where the bottom
of the U is the inner or outer radius? [snip]

I added a layer of marks. (You should make your newsreader
indicate quotes by adding markers at left of quoted lines.)

As Simpson says "DOH"

The curve is across the open top of the U, The flanges to be welded onto
adjacent steel with the curve.

Your answer isn't perfectly clear to me, but I'm assuming the axis of
the bend is perpendicular to the long axis of the channel and that the
channel has a flat bottom 75mm wide which will bend "the easy way",
while the 15mm sides are bending "the hard way" and in compression.

How much crumpling of the sides can you tolerate? Crumpling will be
hard to avoid unless you have a tight-fitting steel die outside
the channel, and a tight-fitting 100mm-radius steel former inside the
channel, to form the bend on your press. If you make the die and
former with thick MDF, some crumpling probably would occur but might
be tolerable.

If you will be welding along the flanges anyway, you could cross cut
them half a dozen times in the bend region and then hand bend the base
of the channel to the right radius.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I need to put about a 30 degree curve into a piece of sheet metal U
channel, curve needs to have a radius of 100mm.

The curve is across the open top of the U, The flanges to be welded onto
adjacent steel with the curve.

So, endwise, the channel is ___ ___ , not a plain U or J channel?
|__|

I was going to suggest a metal stretcher, but it would only stretch
the flanges and your radius might be too tight for that. I wonder if
you could rig a ring/band roller to do those. You'd probably need
something fit inside the U to keep it from collapsing, and to hold up
the flanges.

--
It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness;
poverty and wealth have both failed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 19:40:18 +1000, "Why is everyone so cruel"
wrote:

I need to put about a 30 degree curve into a piece of sheet metal U channel,
curve needs to have a radius of 100mm.

Channel is 75mm wide x 15mm deep with 15mm flanges, made out of .75mm sheet.

I dont have access to rollers - not sure how they'd be any use. I've got an
hydraulic press brake, plus usual workshop tools.

I would ask; what is this to be used for? Maybe there is a better
solution.