Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Internal reinforcement for bolt through hollow tubing?

I am wondering if I need to use an internal reinforcement cylinder inside of
a section of steel square tubing. The square tubing in question is 2.5",
with a wall thickness of 3/16". The fastener will be a 9/16" Grade 8 bolt,
with a through hole of 5/8".

I will also have a 1/4" section of plate outside of each side of the steel
square tubing, with a width spanning the full distance of the flat side of
the square tubing, from shoulder to shoulder (about 1.75" x 1.75").

Will I need to insert a piece of pipe inside of the steel square tubing to
keep it from collapsing, or will the 1/4" plate on the outsides spread the
load sufficiently?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I am wondering if I need to use an internal reinforcement cylinder inside
of a section of steel square tubing. The square tubing in question is
2.5", with a wall thickness of 3/16". The fastener will be a 9/16" Grade 8
bolt, with a through hole of 5/8".

I will also have a 1/4" section of plate outside of each side of the steel
square tubing, with a width spanning the full distance of the flat side of
the square tubing, from shoulder to shoulder (about 1.75" x 1.75").

Will I need to insert a piece of pipe inside of the steel square tubing to
keep it from collapsing, or will the 1/4" plate on the outsides spread the
load sufficiently?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Jon

your design looks good to me. I do it that way all the time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

I am wondering if I need to use an internal reinforcement cylinder
inside of a section of steel square tubing. The square tubing in
question is 2.5", with a wall thickness of 3/16". The fastener will be a
9/16"
Grade 8 bolt, with a through hole of 5/8".

I will also have a 1/4" section of plate outside of each side of the
steel square tubing, with a width spanning the full distance of the
flat side of the square tubing, from shoulder to shoulder (about
1.75" x 1.75"). Will I need to insert a piece of pipe inside of the steel
square
tubing to keep it from collapsing, or will the 1/4" plate on the
outsides spread the load sufficiently?

your design looks good to me. I do it that way all the time.

Thanks Karl, that will save me a lot of trouble.

Jon