Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DoN Nichols

Don, as our resident crimper expert, do you think that this stuff
would prove useful for light home duty use?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus31310" wrote in message
Don, as our resident crimper expert, do you think that this stuff
would prove useful for light home duty use?

I know I'm not Don, but that is a hell of a bargain if you need them. Did
you win it? I know some of those crimpers are in the $400+ range each.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-04, Ignoramus31310 wrote:
Don, as our resident crimper expert, do you think that this stuff
would prove useful for light home duty use?

Hmm ... depends on *what* home duty use.

None of those appear to be for crimping terminals on cables --
unless perhaps the red-handled ones might be. No good photos of those.

Some of them are for IDC ribbon cable connectors.

Some for modular phone plugs (not sure whether any would work
for the 8-pin RJ-45 used for twisted pair ethernet.

The nice AMP handles to the left are all for the open flag
type terminals, not the pre-insulated barrel ones. Some might be good
for pins in the D series connectors -- but none really look like that.
These, I think, are for the larger pins -- perhaps those for the
multi-row staggered rectangular block type connectors. The open flag
type crimpers are all marked "Type F", and you appear to have several of
those. If you get connector blocks to match (perhaps some of the new
plastic bodied circular connectors as well) it could be useful in making
the encoder and power cabling.

The blocks in the last photo appear to fit in the open
rectangular frame in the second photo. All three in the second photo
are really unfamiliar to me.

The pneumatic tool will be nice for bundling the cables with tie
wraps. (But I would probably do old-fashioned cable lacing personally. :-)

I don't see anything which I would recognize as the T&B Ansley
Blue-Max press, but if you *have* one in the collection just not
photographed, it would be very good for terminating ribbon cable in IDC
connectors. You'll probably have to make some connector nests for the
various sizes -- but it (if it is like what I have) will work nicely on
any 0.050" pitch ribbon cable connectors, including the various D series
connectors. I got one of these at a hamfest perhaps ten years ago or
so, with all three pusher bars and several connector holders, and I had
others at work (with a cheaper press from the same people) to use as
patterns in machining up other connector holders. (Some holders just
align the connector while letting it reach through to touch the
baseplate, while others have to hold the connectors a known distance
above the baseplate. Some (for two-row 0.100 pin spacing IDC
connectors) have an extra slot milled at right angles to hold the keying
projection properly centered. They really work with almost anybody's
connectors.

It is an interesting set -- but it is probably not what you need
for this mill project -- except perhaps for "crimp and insert" pins on
certain styles and brands of connectors.

Once you get this in -- perhaps more detailed photos would help
to identify what you have in total. I hope that you really did get the
Blue Max -- but it will weigh more than the whole rest of the
collection as photographed. Lots of cast iron in it.

O.K. I just went downstairs to check. My press is the Blue
Macs 779-3500, not the 779-3200 listed, so it may be the lighter version
which I once had at work. Take photos and post URLs once you get the
things, and I'll try to talk you through what you have. Individual
photos -- including detail shots square on to the heads will help a lot.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Ping: Don Nichols re. Sun workstation Christopher Tidy Metalworking 20 February 16th 09 04:18 PM
Nichols lathe for sale Larry Osterman Woodturning 9 April 23rd 06 06:10 PM
DoN Nichols DoN. Nichols Metalworking 0 January 22nd 06 12:45 AM
looking for PDF of nichols mill wayne mak Metalworking 3 January 18th 06 05:50 AM
picked up the nichols Wayne Metalworking 2 February 14th 04 03:15 PM