Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A letter from Ted Nugent

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 17:18:41 -0700, Hawke
wrote:

On 6/2/2010 4:18 AM, wrote:
On Jun 2, 3:21 am, wrote:

That's because when it comes to metalworking I would not presume to give
advice. I ain't that good at it. I am working at it but as someone not
very adept at this point I'm not about to give advice. I'm still in the
asking for advice stage at this point. But like I said, I have learned
quite a few things here and that is why I came to begin with. All the
political stuff just makes it even better.

Hawke

Oh come now. You have no reticence in giving political advice. But
seriously by now you must some metalworking experience that can help
some of the people that are venturing into areas that are new to
them.

Dan

I would leave that to some of the folks around here that are real
experts working with metal. I'm still like a hack. I can get things done
but they aren't pretty and they take a long time. Now if I can finally
get a decent band saw then I may have something worth contributing, and
with pictures to boot. Seriously though, the old CJ I bought last summer
has a lot of things I want to do to it that require metal work. So I
expect to be doing a number of things before long. You know, holes to
fill. Brackets to make. Bumpers to modify for lights. Stuff like that.
I'm planning on doing those things this summer. But unless I do
something that looks really good I'm not showing my work around here.
You know how critical some people around here are. I can imagine their
opinions on my work.

Hawke

You don't learn much from admiration, Hawke. There are those poor
insecure poseurs that might try to sting with contempt, but you can
ignore them. All of us were once beginners, and most of us are still
learning.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 6/2/2010 4:18 AM, wrote:
On Jun 2, 3:21 am, wrote:

[...]

Indeed.

Gunner, who was not ashamed to admit to "welding" on a spare tire
carrier,,,,unsucessfuly....

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 6/2/2010 4:18 AM, wrote:
On Jun 2, 3:21 am, wrote:

[...]

I have some metal work projects that I will be doing on my Jeep. When I
get them done I'll post some pics. But as has always been the case with
me, pretty isn't a word that is usually associated with anything having
to do with me.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 6/2/2010 4:18 AM, wrote:
On Jun 2, 3:21 am, wrote:

[...]

Do as you like, but don't think it will stop the flamers from claiming
that you never do any metal work. I've posted plenty about projects,
but it hasn't stopped some people from insisting that I don't. One
lame-o even complimented me on some of my work, and then later claimed
that I don't do any. That gave me the idea to write a long post
describing changing a wheel or some such. I doubt that the goofs would
get the joke though. It would probably degenerate into a thread
arguing about who's had the most flat tires. :-) During one such
debate snorf I realized that I could build the damned item of
contention in less time than it would take to write about how doable
it was. Then I put the photos on a page
http://www.citlink.net/~wmbjk/testtank.htm primarily to shut up the
you-can't-do-that keyboard pounders who often seem to outnumber the
doers by about 1000 to 1. But even that kind of thing is a waste of
time when you're dealing with reality-optional Usenutters.

But as has always been the case with
me, pretty isn't a word that is usually associated with anything having
to do with me.

I remember doing some aircraft parts over and over again to get them
as perfect as I could make them. At the time I had an older friend who
was making many of the same parts. He was more of a git-er-done kind
of guy and I wasn't impressed. Eventually I learned that his approach
was better than mine in many ways. These days I try to hit a happy
medium - respectable without wasting time on things that don't matter
much, such as sharing with people who aren't really interested.

Wayne