Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default VObration tumbilng steel bolts?

I have a quantity of larger size steel bolts and nuts (5/8 and up). It
is a nice pile from which I get just what I need for whatever I am
doing. Except that they are dirty and rusty.

My question is, can I tumble them with ceramic media, or is there a
possibiilty that it will ruin threads? Any ideas?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 May 2010 23:18:04 -0500, Ignoramus6711
wrote:

I have a quantity of larger size steel bolts and nuts (5/8 and up). It
is a nice pile from which I get just what I need for whatever I am
doing. Except that they are dirty and rusty.

My question is, can I tumble them with ceramic media, or is there a
possibiilty that it will ruin threads? Any ideas?

Oh..btw..if you find a vibratory deburring machine..and the inside is
worn out..simply take it to a shop and have it sprayed with Rino Liner
or any other good bed liner. Works freaking great and is very cheap for
something that small. Seems to outlast the standard replaceable liner
too.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

So after a few hours, the pennies were shiny, but not perfect new
looking. Still a bit of patina on them. I decided to try Brasso, added
about 2 tbsp of it and will tumble for one more hour. The point, of
course, is not because I need shiny pennies, but just to experiment.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus6711" wrote in message
I have a quantity of larger size steel bolts and nuts (5/8 and up). It
is a nice pile from which I get just what I need for whatever I am
doing. Except that they are dirty and rusty.

My question is, can I tumble them with ceramic media, or is there a
possibiilty that it will ruin threads? Any ideas?

That's what you have children for...and wire brushes. Or, do you have a
blasting cabinet?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-30, Buerste wrote:

"Ignoramus6711" wrote in message
I have a quantity of larger size steel bolts and nuts (5/8 and up). It
is a nice pile from which I get just what I need for whatever I am
doing. Except that they are dirty and rusty.

My question is, can I tumble them with ceramic media, or is there a
possibiilty that it will ruin threads? Any ideas?

That's what you have children for...and wire brushes. Or, do you have a
blasting cabinet?

Come to think of it, I have all of that, some things in duplicates (children)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a quantity of larger size steel bolts and nuts (5/8 and up). It
is a nice pile from which I get just what I need for whatever I am
doing. Except that they are dirty and rusty.

My question is, can I tumble them with ceramic media, or is there a
possibiilty that it will ruin threads? Any ideas?

I think I'd try electrolytic cleaning in an alkaline medium. The
alkalai will cut grease and the electrolytic action will attack rust
but not good steel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6711 wrote:
I have a quantity of larger size steel bolts and nuts (5/8 and up). It
is a nice pile from which I get just what I need for whatever I am
doing. Except that they are dirty and rusty.

My question is, can I tumble them with ceramic media, or is there a
possibiilty that it will ruin threads? Any ideas?

Take them to a black oxide place. Per pound price isn't too bad, and
they degrease them and derust them before coating.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/31/2010 11:16 AM, Robert Swinney wrote:
Agree with John. It would be much better to just clean each one prior to use rather than risk
damaging the whole lot.

The electrolytic derusting process works a treat.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 31 May 2010 11:43:15 -0700, Winston
wrote:

On 5/31/2010 11:16 AM, Robert Swinney wrote:
Agree with John. It would be much better to just clean each one prior to use rather than risk
damaging the whole lot.

The electrolytic derusting process works a treat.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm

--Winston

Indeed it does. I recently was given a pair of power supplies from a
Moog milling machine, Nice self contained high amperage, low voltage
(5vt DC @ 22 and 50 amps) boxes that will be turned into derusters in
the next couple weeks.

Gunner