Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The youth of today!!!

Stuart Wheaton wrote:
Eregon wrote:
RoyJ wrote in
news
I favor "green" energy sources too, BUT-- Anyone here wanna
calculate the square footage of solar panels needed to strike and
maintain a 110 Amp, 30 Volt welding arc for an average workday?
Say, stick welding 30 to 45 lbs of 1/8" 11018? I bet those panels
would be pretty darn big to support just one welder.
With a couple of matteries and a charger system, they would not need
to be very big.

The time ratio gets pretty ugly very quickly. A standard 120 portable
MIG welder draws around 2400 watts. A moderate solar panel (36"
square) puts out 45 watts in direct sunlight (and aimed at the sun)
http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt...kit-90599.html
So you would need an hour of charging to weld for 1 minute.

Or at least 60 such units.

Not only would that be expen$ive but would really clutter up the place
- and you still wouldn't be able to work after sundown or on cloudy
days. G

Imagine if they took the money it would cost to build 1 nuclear power
plant, and used it for a 50% subsidy to any homeowner with south facing
roof to put PV on their roof. Coupled with net metering, during peak
industrial load times, there would be lots of sunlit generating capacity.

This is already on the books. My BIL just stuck a hot water unit and is
putting up a wind turbine as well.

The hot water roof mount was $1,200.00 and on a day with FULL sun it
gives you almost enough hot water to take a shower! And this unit is
sold to REPLACE a common 40 gallon water heater.

The wind turbine he is installing is rated at 2400 watts in a 10mph
wind. It isn't one of the biggest units but it was still $15,000.00

He got back $600 on the water unit and will get back $7,500.00 on the
turbine.

Then let wind, fuel cells, and current coal and nuke generating capacity
serve the nights and cloudy days.

Heard this all 30 years ago as well.

Building huge numbers of solar panels would drive down per unit costs.

Same as above. The problem is NOBODY wants them. The cost benefit is not
even close to being good.

There are some office towers in Europe that have solar on their sides
and are effectively self-sufficient. They not only supply their own
needs, but also put more into the grid in the day than they draw at night.

BUT they still need other power sources to keep them operating.

About the best solution is Nuke power and repeal of Carters reprocessing
ban. If the US built reactors and reprocessed the used fuel as well we
would have 90% of the problem taken care of.

By the time the reprocessing of the fuel gets to the point that the fuel
is actually spent the amount of true waste would be about a 55 gallon
drum full.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

This is already on the books. My BIL just stuck a hot water unit and is
putting up a wind turbine as well.

The hot water roof mount was $1,200.00 and on a day with FULL sun it
gives you almost enough hot water to take a shower! And this unit is
sold to REPLACE a common 40 gallon water heater.

I had about 100 feet of buried 3/4" PVC pipe between my well & house
the last place I lived. Between the exposed tank & hot sand over the
pipe you could take three or four showers without turning on the water
heater. In fact, you needed the cool water from the water heater tank to
cool the incoming water enough to take a shower. That was in North Lake
County, Fl.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.