Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The youth of today!!!

On Sat, 15 May 2010 17:52:21 -0500, Ignoramus14233
wrote:

Remember that Miller welder with a TIG attachment that I bought for
$0.99?

I sold it on Craigslist. The buyer paid $150 for it, which was a great
deal for a working welder on a running gear, with a working TIG
attachment.

The interesting thing is that the buyer is a teenager. (!!!)

I delivered and helped him unload. What he told me, then, was that he
was going to convert it to single phase by installing capacitors on
the primary side of the transformer.

I immediately gifted him the oil filled run caps that I had.

After a couple of weeks, he told me that it works great.

What I think, seriously, is that this guy may be the next Tesla. It is
not really a huge accomplishment (just a great one) for a grownup, but
for a teenager, it is pretty tremendous.

My stereotype of today's teenagers is that the ony thing they are good
at is using cell phones and twitter. Turns out, that not all people
are like that.

Hey Iggy,

Don't lose his phone number. Get him to go with you and your son(s)
to a live steam show sometime, or get him in contact with the Chicago
Model Engineers.

He might like IMTS2010 coming up in September too. You too.

http://www.imts.com/

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.