Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default run it on seven

"The Kid" has been fixin on his diesel pickup at my place. He got it running
today but only on seven cylinders. he's got a programmer to read codes and
#3 injector is not operating. he thinks at least four hours work to replace
it.

that's time he hasn't got right now. He's working six or seven days a week.
He closes on his new home next week and has to move out of the condo and
have it ready for renters June 1.

Anyway, will it harm anything to drive it 50 miles to his new digs? Then he
can do an hour or so each evening.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

anews.com...

#3 injector is not operating. he thinks at least four hours work to

replace
it.

that's time he hasn't got right now. He's working six or seven days a

week.
He closes on his new home next week and has to move out of the condo and
have it ready for renters June 1.

Anyway, will it harm anything to drive it 50 miles to his new digs? Then

he
can do an hour or so each evening.

Karl

My suspicion, (not gospel) is that he will be fine especially if the
injector is *not* spraying fuel. I have driven gassers for thousands of
miles with a miss on one of the cylinders and the only noticeable problem
was the engine ran rough, had less power and didn't get as may MPG as it did
before.

50 miles is not very far being a little out of balance especially on a heavy
duty engine.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
"The Kid" has been fixin on his diesel pickup at my place. He got it
running today but only on seven cylinders. he's got a programmer to read
codes and #3 injector is not operating. he thinks at least four hours work
to replace it.

that's time he hasn't got right now. He's working six or seven days a
week. He closes on his new home next week and has to move out of the condo
and have it ready for renters June 1.

Anyway, will it harm anything to drive it 50 miles to his new digs? Then
he can do an hour or so each evening.

Karl

Karl, on my 2000 Chevy Silverado (fuel injected) I had a bad spark plug.
Tried to diagnose the miss but was unable. The service personnel told me
that the cars computer shuts down the injector to any cylinder that is
misfiring. My only point here is that a non functioning injector could be
simply shut off by the computer and the problem might be something else.

Ivan Vegvary

#3 injector is not operating. he thinks at least four hours work to

replace
[...]

OTOH if that injector is dribbling, he could get a couple of pints of
diesel in the sump in a 50 mile trip. A gas engine, the charge is
largely vaporised and the oil temperature is most of the time high
enough to recycle any gas vapours that make it past the rings back into
the inlet manifold via the crankcase breather. Diesel doesn't boil out
of the oil anywhere near as easily, it just thins the oil down till it
cant lubricate enough, then the bearings pick up and likely enough seize.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

[...]

That would only be applicable if this is a recent diesel engine with
common rail electronic injectors. All the older diesels are mechanical
injection and the computer (if there is one) has no control over the
individual injectors.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

[...]

Pete, my engine is the 5.3 liter gasoline model. If I had read the OP more
carefully I would have realized that it was a diesel. Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

#3 injector is not operating. he thinks at least four hours work to replace
it.

that's time he hasn't got right now. He's working six or seven days a week.
He closes on his new home next week and has to move out of the condo and
have it ready for renters June 1.

Anyway, will it harm anything to drive it 50 miles to his new digs? Then he
can do an hour or so each evening.

Karl

A guy I work with did that for a week or so with his Ford diesel until
he could get it fixed. He ended up getting the fancy computer link
for his laptop and it pinpointed exactly which injector it was. It
turned out it wasn't an injector at all, but a plug on the injection
harness where it passed through the valve cover gasket. Plug is
apparently built INTO the gasket. Ford dealer wanted a couple of grand
to fix, he ended up getting a new gasket and internal harness for a
couple of hundred off the internet. Lasted until the next month when
the other side went out, same thing. He said the worst part was
clearing out the gubbins on top so he could get down to the valve
cover bolts. Guess that fixed it, haven't heard anything more about
it for a couple of years and he still has the truck. Total outlay was
about $600 and quite a few hours of weekend work.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

on Tue, 18 May 2010 10:45:16 -0700 (PDT) typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
#3 injector is not operating. he thinks at least four hours work to replace
it.

[...]

Sounds like he forgot the old rule about shoelaces: If one breaks,
replace them both at the same time.

Had a friend in the heavy construction biz. He said their
procedure was to replace 'everything' if they had to open an engine
up. It might be more expensive, but they lessened the amount of down
time while they had to tear it open "again".

He said the worst part was clearing out the gubbins on top so he could
get down to the valve cover bolts.

Yet another reason to be like an old geezer who when he bent over
to tie his shoe, would ask himself "anything else I can do while I'm
down here?" - you've gone through most of the work - fix it all.

Guess that fixed it, haven't heard anything more about
it for a couple of years and he still has the truck. Total outlay was
about $600 and quite a few hours of weekend work.

"ouch" - but that is my budget talking. But glad he could fix
it, and save the couple grand it would have cost otherwise. (I
admire, and "hate" those clever guys, who can take a wrecked Jeep and
parlay that into a bigger engine for the working Jeep, and a couple
hundred dollars clear from parting out the wreck. Just not my skill
set.)

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Help me out here, guys.

The last diesels I ever worked on (and still do with my Deutz tractor and
John Deere mower) have an injector pump and solid injectors -- one per
cylinder; no moving parts except the poppet valve in each injector, and
the pump itself.

What y'all are talking about in this thread is an engine with
electrically-driven unit-injectors, but no description of the fuel
pressurization system, and no ideas about how one gets the 600-1000psi
necessary to pump the fuel and atomize it into the cylinder.

I guess I missed a decade or two with diesels; I didn't know that there
were electronic unit-injector diesels.

So... Help me out. How about some nice fleshy descriptions of what's
going on?

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Help me out here, guys.

The last diesels I ever worked on (and still do with my Deutz tractor and
John Deere mower) have an injector pump and solid injectors -- one per
cylinder; no moving parts except the poppet valve in each injector, and
the pump itself.

What y'all are talking about in this thread is an engine with
electrically-driven unit-injectors, but no description of the fuel
pressurization system, and no ideas about how one gets the 600-1000psi
necessary to pump the fuel and atomize it into the cylinder.

I guess I missed a decade or two with diesels; I didn't know that there
were electronic unit-injector diesels.

So... Help me out. How about some nice fleshy descriptions of what's
going on?

LLoyd

The new diesels are fancier than that.

The Ford / International 6.4 (which I'm most familiar with since I have
one) has a high pressure fuel pump that pressurizes the common fuel rail
to ~26,000 PSI (no, that is not a typo). There is a fuel cooling system
with it's own pump and radiator to keep the fuel temps from getting too
high. The injectors have piezo-electric actuators moving the partially
pressure balanced valve. The injectors may fire more than once during a
cylinders combustion cycle.

This engine also uses a dual sequential turbo setup with a small high
pressure turbo with servo driven variable geometry backed by a larger
conventional low pressure turbo. The small turbo spins up fast for
off-idle response and the large turbo catches up a second or two later.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4bf346a1$0
:

The injectors may fire more than once during a
cylinders combustion cycle.

Whoa! I've got some _learnin'_ to do!
Time to hit the books... well, the e-books.

Thanks.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4bf346a1$0
:

The injectors may fire more than once during a
cylinders combustion cycle.

Whoa! I've got some _learnin'_ to do!
Time to hit the books... well, the e-books.

Me Too! Last diesel I worked on had seven cylinders and each cylinder had
it's own pump. If it wasn't performing you took a special handle and lifted
each pump off the cam shaft. If the governor didn't open upwhen you did
that, it ment that that cylinder wasn doing much. All this took place at
about 300 RPM.