Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default run it on seven

On May 17, 5:45*pm, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
"The Kid" has been fixin on his diesel pickup at my place. He got it running
today but only on seven cylinders. he's got a programmer to read codes and
#3 injector is not operating. he thinks at least four hours work to replace
it.

that's time he hasn't got right now. He's working six or seven days a week.
He closes on his new home next week and has to move out of the condo and
have it ready for renters June 1.

Anyway, will it harm anything to drive it 50 miles to his new digs? Then he
can do an hour or so each evening.

Karl

A guy I work with did that for a week or so with his Ford diesel until
he could get it fixed. He ended up getting the fancy computer link
for his laptop and it pinpointed exactly which injector it was. It
turned out it wasn't an injector at all, but a plug on the injection
harness where it passed through the valve cover gasket. Plug is
apparently built INTO the gasket. Ford dealer wanted a couple of grand
to fix, he ended up getting a new gasket and internal harness for a
couple of hundred off the internet. Lasted until the next month when
the other side went out, same thing. He said the worst part was
clearing out the gubbins on top so he could get down to the valve
cover bolts. Guess that fixed it, haven't heard anything more about
it for a couple of years and he still has the truck. Total outlay was
about $600 and quite a few hours of weekend work.

Stan