Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What casters for Vidmar fullsize cabinet

Accidentally, a full size Lyon (like Vidmar) cabinet followed me
home. The MF weighs at least 400 lbs empty. It looks like this ebay
item http://ef.algebra.com/e/360257189729

Right now it is on lousy Chinese casters and before I load it up, I
wanted to make sure it is on proper casters so I can roll it around on
my bare concrete floor. Would 5" rubber casters be sensible on it? Or
would I be better off with 6" solid casters (two steel and two hard
plastic). 6" ones are taller, but should be easier all around, though
they add height that is not really helpful.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 06 May 2010 20:00:05 -0500, Ignoramus22979
wrote:

Accidentally, a full size Lyon (like Vidmar) cabinet followed me
home. The MF weighs at least 400 lbs empty. It looks like this ebay
item http://ef.algebra.com/e/360257189729

Right now it is on lousy Chinese casters and before I load it up, I
wanted to make sure it is on proper casters so I can roll it around on
my bare concrete floor. Would 5" rubber casters be sensible on it? Or
would I be better off with 6" solid casters (two steel and two hard
plastic). 6" ones are taller, but should be easier all around, though
they add height that is not really helpful.

I have a couple of those, one Vidmar, one Lyon. I like the Lyon a
little better. I bolted 2x4's to the bottom of mine, and got a little
21" wide pallet jack to move stuff around.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22979 wrote:
Accidentally, a full size Lyon (like Vidmar) cabinet followed me
home. The MF weighs at least 400 lbs empty. It looks like this ebay
item http://ef.algebra.com/e/360257189729

Right now it is on lousy Chinese casters and before I load it up, I
wanted to make sure it is on proper casters so I can roll it around on
my bare concrete floor. Would 5" rubber casters be sensible on it? Or
would I be better off with 6" solid casters (two steel and two hard
plastic). 6" ones are taller, but should be easier all around, though
they add height that is not really helpful.

Use solid cast iron wheels.
Keep in mind, if your like the rest of us, you'll triple the weight in
stuff in the drawers alone.
Vidmar drawers are rated 400lbs load capacity per drawer.

Unless you absolutely, positively need to have this mobile, do like a
another poster suggested, add a 2X4 under each side and get a cheap
pallet jack to move it with.

Think of it this way. What would you look like if one or more drawers
started to open while moving this monster and momentum took over?
The horror.

Good luck

Jim Vrzal