Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sheet rock screws: fine vs coarse thread?

Stuart Wheaton wrote:

About any screw you might want, and square drive is the ONLY option as
far as I'm concerned!

Robertson screws are pretty good but the ones with torx heads are really awesome. I
re-pitched a roof once with adder trusses held on by torx fasteners that screwed into the
original trusses. Long as they were, they never stripped. Unlike some Robertson screws
I've used in building decks.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:30:38 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Stuart Wheaton wrote:

About any screw you might want, and square drive is the ONLY option as
far as I'm concerned!

Robertson screws are pretty good but the ones with torx heads are really awesome. I
re-pitched a roof once with adder trusses held on by torx fasteners that screwed into the
original trusses. Long as they were, they never stripped. Unlike some Robertson screws
I've used in building decks.

I bought a package of Torx head deck screws for erecting pump staging.
It's nice to not have to push on the driver at all when you're up on a
ladder and reaching as far as you can to fasten the pole braces.
Expensive, but much better than Phillips or Robertsons.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Stuart Wheaton wrote:

About any screw you might want, and square drive is the ONLY option as
far as I'm concerned!

Robertson screws are pretty good but the ones with torx heads are really awesome. I
re-pitched a roof once with adder trusses held on by torx fasteners that screwed into the
original trusses. Long as they were, they never stripped. Unlike some Robertson screws
I've used in building decks.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

A couple of yrs ago I built for my daughter's old cottage in Wales some
new kitchen units.
She wanted then out of solid wood, in the medieval style. The framing
was from 4 by 2 with the tops in 2in thick all from cedar inc the doors
which were 1in thick, boards some 20in wide.
These boards were planked up when she was 6 and put by. I used them for
her some 19yrs later!!.The wood came from her school at that time as we
had had the storm of the century and most of the school trees were blown
down. I helped to clear up the resultant damage.
To fix the frame to the top from the underside needed 3&3/4 in screws.
I pilot drilled the 1st 2in through the framing then the remainder
with ,would you believe my 1/2in car wheel nut air hammer. the screw
heads were countersunk no3 pozidrive and nothing put them in better or
faster.
Thought it might just be of interest, as no other power tool would work
to pull them up real tight. Didnt cam out any.
ted
in Dorset
UK
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:30:38 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Stuart Wheaton wrote:

About any screw you might want, and square drive is the ONLY option as
far as I'm concerned!

Robertson screws are pretty good but the ones with torx heads are really awesome. I
re-pitched a roof once with adder trusses held on by torx fasteners that screwed into the
original trusses. Long as they were, they never stripped. Unlike some Robertson screws
I've used in building decks.

Yeah, my head favorites, in order of favor a Torx, Robertson,
Pozidrive (square and phillips), and Phillips.

For repair work a year or ten later, Robertson/square beats them all.
A nail or screw pushed into the recess removes enough dirt and grit to
allow the drive to remove the screw without stripping. I keep a camera
lens puffer (rubber bulb with small brass tube for blowing) in the
truck for things like that. It saves a whole lot of time and
frustration when you don't have to drill out any hardened screw heads.

--
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace
will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes writes:

Robertson screws are pretty good but the ones with torx heads are really awesome. I
re-pitched a roof once with adder trusses held on by torx fasteners that screwed into the
original trusses. Long as they were, they never stripped. Unlike some Robertson screws
I've used in building decks.

WhatHeSaid! Torx is your friend....

--
A host is a host from coast to