Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sheet rock screws: fine vs coarse thread?

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

The Gougeon Brothers of sailboat fame did tests of coarse- versus
fine-thread screws in wood back in the '60s. Coarse-thread won. Sheet metal
screws beat wood screws in wood every time. That was before sheet rock
screws.

Normally I'd go with what you said but, I constructed two envelope walls (no studs having
conduction from inside to outside for my machine room. The studs are tamarack, fine pitch
was easier to use but I did finally resort to drywall nails, some that bent over. For a
soft wood, tamarack sure doesn't know it.

Generally fine pitch is for steel studs iirc.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

The Gougeon Brothers of sailboat fame did tests of coarse- versus
fine-thread screws in wood back in the '60s. Coarse-thread won. Sheet
metal
screws beat wood screws in wood every time. That was before sheet rock
screws.

Normally I'd go with what you said but, I constructed two envelope walls
(no studs having
conduction from inside to outside for my machine room. The studs are
tamarack, fine pitch
was easier to use but I did finally resort to drywall nails, some that
bent over. For a
soft wood, tamarack sure doesn't know it.

Generally fine pitch is for steel studs iirc.

I'm sure there are exceptions. What the Gougeons learned first was that
conventional wood screws didn't hold as well as sheet-metal screws in any
wood they tested, probably due to their deeper and fuller threads.

--
Ed Huntress