Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default Sheet rock screws: fine vs coarse thread?

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

The Gougeon Brothers of sailboat fame did tests of coarse- versus
fine-thread screws in wood back in the '60s. Coarse-thread won. Sheet metal
screws beat wood screws in wood every time. That was before sheet rock
screws.

Normally I'd go with what you said but, I constructed two envelope walls (no studs having
conduction from inside to outside for my machine room. The studs are tamarack, fine pitch
was easier to use but I did finally resort to drywall nails, some that bent over. For a
soft wood, tamarack sure doesn't know it.

Generally fine pitch is for steel studs iirc.

Wes