Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Coke machine

Is it hard to get an old one going? I would like to buy an old one for
the garage project.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 12, 10:57*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
stryped fired this volley in news:e7ca32b4-f4b7-42f9-
:

Is it hard to get an old one going? I would like to buy an old one for
the garage project.

For years, until we grew bored with it, I had an old drum-fed nickle
machine.

Including the refrigeration work and the coin rejector, it only took about
four days to get it back in working condition. *Re-painting took longer..

LLoyd

What did you have to do? Did it perform well?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped fired this volley in news:bed53e5a-6656-
:

What did you have to do? Did it perform well?

I had to repair two corroded spots in the line on the hot side of the
compressor, evacuate and re-charge the system, clean and bead-blast
almost all of the mechanics, including the inside faces of the coin
rejector flap, lube everything, and fix a worn latch plate.

That was back in the day when R12 was over-the-counter. Nowadays, you'd
have a choice of doing the repairs then having a pro re-charge it, or
perhaps converting it to propane. Except for flushing and replacing the
oil charge with a compatible lubricant, there's not much to that. There
wasn't anything unique about the compressor, and the system was a simple
capillary tube type, except that the whole system was a bit over-sized to
accommodate heat gain from sitting out in the sun all day. On cool days,
duty cycle was very short, which is frowned upon today -- matching the
compressor accurately to cooling load is considered "green". I guess in
the 50s when that thing was made it was, "whatever's enough, plus some."

Getting the exterior back to snuff was more difficult, requiring a good
deal of "body work" to fix pits, dents, and general rust around the
gasket line of the door.

Oh... and it only accepted the little 7oz (6oz??) glass bottles.

But it worked great. It even had a built-in water cooler/fountain.
Didn't make change, almost always accepted coins properly.

Earlier, I had said it was a "nickel" machine. It was a ten cent machine
that accepted one dime or two nickels.

I originally got it for free for the hauling from a church that wanted it
out of their basement.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 12, 1:29*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
[...]

I have the equipment to charge my car and my certification to buy
refridgerant.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
[...]

They were 6 oz bottles. 7UP was named as an advertizing thing because they
gave you 7 oz. Trivia mode off. I might be better to get a compressor out
of a more modern refrigerator to get a little better greeness. ;)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Of course, last I checked there were four different types of
certification. Your "charge my car" suggests that you have
the cars certificate.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"stryped" wrote in message

I have the equipment to charge my car and my certification
to buy
refridgerant.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The high side lines were often steel. A bit more trouble to
service, compared to copper.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote
in message
. 3.70...
:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the trivia. Now, a jingle: "Pepsi Cola hits the
spot. Twelve full ounces, that's a lot. Twice as much for
your nickel, too. Pepsi is the one for you."

Most compressors don't list their horsepower rating. But the
LRA number give you a good indication.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
m...

They were 6 oz bottles. 7UP was named as an advertizing
thing because they
gave you 7 oz. Trivia mode off. I might be better to get a
compressor out
of a more modern refrigerator to get a little better
greeness. ;)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Of course, last I checked there were four different types of
certification. Your "charge my car" suggests that you have
the cars certificate.

608 Type I, II, III and R-410A, plus Type 609.

Type I Certification – Small Appliance (5lbs or less of refrigerant)
Type II Certification – Medium, High and Very-High Pressure Appliances.
Type III Certification – Low-Pressure Appliances.

Universal is all of the above.
R-410A is add-on training for 609 folks.

609 is mobile A/C only. However it does NOT cover hermetically sealed
R22 systems.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Coke machine

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Thanks for the trivia. Now, a jingle: "Pepsi Cola hits the
spot. Twelve full ounces, that's a lot. Twice as much for
your nickel, too. Pepsi is the one for you."

Most compressors don't list their horsepower rating. But the
LRA number give you a good indication.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
m...

They were 6 oz bottles. 7UP was named as an advertizing
thing because they
gave you 7 oz. Trivia mode off. I might be better to get a
compressor out
of a more modern refrigerator to get a little better
greeness. ;)

you guys mentioning coke, i just read this just last night, someone here
posted this link in another tread,

http://rationalrevolution.net/articl...an_fascism.htm

you'll have to scroll down 4/5ths the way down the page to...

"Corporations and the Military-Industrial Complex"

to get to the part about coca-cola. trivia about coke during WWII.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:24:03 -0700, Bill McKee wrote:
. 3.70...

[...]

Oh... and it only accepted the little 7oz (6oz??) glass bottles.

But it worked great. It even had a built-in water cooler/fountain.
Didn't make change, almost always accepted coins properly.

Someone mentioned "drum-fed". Is this the same as the "big rotating
honeycomb" I recall seeing at one time?

[...]

They were 6 oz bottles. 7UP was named as an advertizing thing because they
gave you 7 oz. Trivia mode off. I might be better to get a compressor out
of a more modern refrigerator to get a little better greeness. ;)

If I recall, these were actually 6-1/2 oz. bottles.

Frank McKenney
--
A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems.
-- Paul Erdos
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Frnak McKenney fired this volley
in :

Someone mentioned "drum-fed". Is this the same as the "big rotating
honeycomb" I recall seeing at one time?

Yes. It had a drum that would hold about 50 (51 or 54, IIRC) bottles in
a staggered pattern three bottles high. The drum was rotated by a
ratcheting handle on the front of the machine that was only mechanically
attached to the drive after coins were inserted -- otherwise it just
moved freely.

Each bottle came around behind an aperture plate with its holes arranged
so that the bottles were presented 1-2-3 bottom to top as the drum was
indexed through three delivery positions. A bottle could not be
extracted through a hole unless it was perfectly aligned, so even though
you could see (and even grasp) the other two bottles on (say) the
'bottom' delivery, you couldn't pull out any but the one.

It was simple, almost foolproof, and rugged, but it lacked "loading
density". The same sized stack-fed machine of later years could hold 2-3
times as many drinks in the same footprint.

Coke also realized fairly soon after this machine was made that putting a
cold water fountain on the side of a cold drink machine was a dumb sales
tactic. G

LLoyd

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:41:55 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the memories... especially since yours are clearer than
mine. I had even forgotten about the bottle/hole "partial match",
which is surprising since I spent a bit of time as a pre-teen trying
to figure out how to wiggle a bottle _just_ right... grin!

Haven't seen any of the horizontal-loaders recently either -- the
long-slotted drop-a-dime-and-lift-out-one-drink coolers with an
inch or two of cold water in the bottom.

Ah, nostalgia. grin

Frank McKenney
--
There are many definitions of what art is, but what I am convinced
art is not is self-expression. If I have an experience, it is not