Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Leaking 1/2" union -- face on a lathe?

Awl --

It's an old-style union (flat mating faces), immediately on my compressor,
with the controls and fittings on that.

Should be a quick job, if it will work... will save me a trip to the store.
Plus it would be but another DIY thrill....

Alternatively, can I just putty/dope the faces up?
I know this is a no-no in water plumbing, but mebbe it's an OK stopgap here?
Even tho the psi are higher -- 120 air vs. 60 or less for water.

--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl --

It's an old-style union (flat mating faces), immediately on my compressor,
with the controls and fittings on that.

Should be a quick job, if it will work... will save me a trip to the
store. Plus it would be but another DIY thrill....

Alternatively, can I just putty/dope the faces up?
I know this is a no-no in water plumbing, but mebbe it's an OK stopgap
here? Even tho the psi are higher -- 120 air vs. 60 or less for water.

--
EA

face them off and cut an oring groove in one half.

basilisk

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 9, 11:53*am, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

It's an old-style union (flat mating faces), immediately on my compressor,
with the controls and fittings on that.

Should be a quick job, if it will work... will save me a trip to the store.
Plus it would be but another DIY thrill.... *

Alternatively, can I just putty/dope the faces up?

If it ever needs disassembly, the 'just dope' solution has flaws.
Why not get out the razor knife and some oaktag or gasket material
and cut yourself a gasket?

Someone did a dope-but-no-gasket replacement on my car's water
pump. When it needed replacement, I found that the housing parts
were glued tight and couldn't be budged. No gaskets meant that the
attaching bolts were a couple of turns tighter, and went into the
engine
block past the fully-cut-thread length (so the bolts broke, of course,
at disassembly time).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 9, 2:53*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
Awl --

It's an old-style union (flat mating faces), immediately on my compressor,
with the controls and fittings on that.

Should be a quick job, if it will work... will save me a trip to the store.
Plus it would be but another DIY thrill.... *
--
EA

I would think it would work. What is the worst that can happen? Does
not work and you have to get another union.

But it might be easier to use some valve grinding compound and lap the
joint smooth.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"basilisk" wrote in message

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl --

It's an old-style union (flat mating faces), immediately on my
compressor, with the controls and fittings on that.

Should be a quick job, if it will work... will save me a trip to the
store. Plus it would be but another DIY thrill....

Alternatively, can I just putty/dope the faces up?
I know this is a no-no in water plumbing, but mebbe it's an OK stopgap
here? Even tho the psi are higher -- 120 air vs. 60 or less for water.

--
EA

face them off and cut an oring groove in one half.

Good one!
Esp. since I got o-rings!!
--
EA

basilisk

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"basilisk" wrote in message

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl --

It's an old-style union (flat mating faces), immediately on my
compressor, with the controls and fittings on that.

Should be a quick job, if it will work... will save me a trip to the
store. Plus it would be but another DIY thrill....

Alternatively, can I just putty/dope the faces up?
I know this is a no-no in water plumbing, but mebbe it's an OK stopgap
here? Even tho the psi are higher -- 120 air vs. 60 or less for water.

--
EA

face them off and cut an oring groove in one half.

Good one!
Esp. since I got o-rings!!
--
EA

basilisk

I remember a flat water union with flat rubber washers. Maybe the washer is
old and cracked.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

m...

"basilisk" wrote in message

[...]

Heh, no washer, which is proly the real problem, given this style of union.
I'll go and see what fits, mebbe a garden hose washer will do..
I can always cut a washer from 1/8" rubber.

It doesn't take much of a leak to empty a tank overnight.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
m...

"basilisk" wrote in message

[...]

Heh, washer seems to be working!
When you got a hammer, everything looks like a nail.... when an empty
lathe is standing around, everything seems to need turning!
--
EA

--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
It's 120 psi. Fiber would proly be good, or nylon. I put in a nylon-ish
washer, leaked a little, tightened'er up, rock solid now for hours at 105
psi.

Good to know - thanks for closing the loop. Bob