Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Leaking 1/2" union -- face on a lathe?

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
m...

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"basilisk" wrote in message

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl --

It's an old-style union (flat mating faces), immediately on my
compressor, with the controls and fittings on that.

Should be a quick job, if it will work... will save me a trip to the
store. Plus it would be but another DIY thrill....

Alternatively, can I just putty/dope the faces up?
I know this is a no-no in water plumbing, but mebbe it's an OK stopgap
here? Even tho the psi are higher -- 120 air vs. 60 or less for water.

--
EA
face them off and cut an oring groove in one half.

Good one!
Esp. since I got o-rings!!
--
EA

basilisk

I remember a flat water union with flat rubber washers. Maybe the washer
is old and cracked.

Heh, no washer, which is proly the real problem, given this style of union.
I'll go and see what fits, mebbe a garden hose washer will do..
I can always cut a washer from 1/8" rubber.

It doesn't take much of a leak to empty a tank overnight.
--
EA