Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Millrite cuts in one direction only

On Mar 28, 6:39*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

*Wes wrote:
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

Not for nothin', Joe, but checking the gibs is normally a weekly
cleanup/lubrication task. *

Yep, but I don't think people really do it weekly. *

Especially, the table-saddle gib, which is quite inaccessible.

Joe,

Did you buy it new? *

No, I bought it used. *It was made in 1965, and looks it.

*If not, did you do a tear down to inspect it?

No, but I did see and hear it run before buying it. *

I have been incrementally repairing things, with periodic reports to RCM
documenting my progress in learning both machining and machine tool repair. *The
big problem has been things frozen by lumps of spooge. *As time permits, I take
something apart and clean it, lubricate it, then reassemble it. *

Having never owned a machine tool before, I would be loath to do this all in one
go, even if I had the time.

I also added an X,Y, Z (quill) DRO, which is a great help.

My Bridgeport needed the oiling system repaired, a bit of shim on the knee
gib, and a new Y screw and split nut to get it up to usefull status. *The Y
screw failed due to a blocked oiler.

The Millrite has no oiling system save the user with oilgun in hand. *So far,
spooge removal has sufficed, and I have not had to replace anything.

Joe Gwinn

The Millrite is a very good machine for the HSMer.

Simple and easily repaired.

TMT