Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bob's Homemade Paper Cutter

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TXyDjdfrX4

It's a run what you brung kinda project. Took 6.5 hours to mill the top
plate. Only took about 2 to make the bottom plate. It takes 28 minutes
per run to cut ten sheets plus a sacrificial one. I jacked up the speed
and cut them at about 17 minutes, but the quality went to heck.

Obvious a vinyl plotter would have been better and just feed it some
velum, but this works and provides a really professional result.

... and I have this machine. LOL.

Just FYI, I was also experimenting with making easily rough truing fixtures.
The bottom plate squares to the table with a lip on the bottom each time I
reattach it to the table. Then I just need to find my center and I am good
to go. The top plate is also pretty consistent, but I made the screw holes
to big. If I do another one, I'll go for very snug fitting screw holes and
taper the top of the threaded hole on the bottom plate for faster alignment.
I might even go so far as to taper the top of the pocket for the bottom
plate. Get it close and snug up the screws for self alignment of the top
plate to the bottom plate. It does that now, but the pocket and relief are
square. Deeper pocket and taller relief would also have helped. If I'd had
a piece of half for the bottom I would have done it that way. With the .375
I was paranoid about not having enough thickness to correct for mistakes.
LOL.

My secondary goal was also to learn to make a fixture plate for the table
that would have a self truing fence for quick square alignment. A short
fence on both top and bottom and a bunch of threaded holes for cams and
clamps so I could very quickly square a work piece to my cutting planes.
Now I just need to order some 1/2 or 3/4 plate to make it.