Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What's it do?

--Have been working on my mill and following instructions from the
repair guy who's too far away to make a house call. I found this page:
http://home.comcast.net/~tom.jelly/j.../j%20head%20re
build.htm
..and it's been a great help. Now in the second photo the guy's
holding a dumbbell-shaped part called the pivot. In my mill this part had
broken in the middle and lemmetellya getting the innermost piece out was a
real adventure. Anyway I can't figure out what the thing does and I'm wondering
what won't work if I just reassemble and leave the pivot out.
Explanations appreciated! :-)

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Blue Cross socks us
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : $23,000/yr!! ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 21 Mar 2010 01:18:36 GMT, steamer wrote:

Now in the second photo the guy's
holding a dumbbell-shaped part called the pivot. In my mill this part had
broken in the middle and lemmetellya getting the innermost piece out was a
real adventure. Anyway I can't figure out what the thing does and I'm wondering
what won't work if I just reassemble and leave the pivot out.
Explanations appreciated! :-)

As bill says, it's the linkage that works the depth stop on the quill feed.
Allegedly, a common failure on Bridgies.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Thanks, guys; guess I gotta get another one. Actually in the
rebuild I discovered that we'd used this feature so much that we'd worn a
'groove' in the threads at a certain point; i.e the graduated depth stop nut
would only pass this point with great difficulty, as threads had bent
together from repeated thwacks from the downfeed whatsit. Had to disassemble
the thing with vise grips to keep the graduated nut from rotating while I
backed the 1/2"-20 threaded shaft out of its mounting. Took forever and had
to dunk the components in the ultrasonic cleaner to get all the gunk off.
Once cleaned up I repaired the damaged thread area in the lathe with
a fine triangle file. Nut now travels along the threaded rod without resistence.