Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Porta Band Saw blades. Lenox vs. Milwaukie

I lucked into a PorterCable Porta Band Saw for $10 at a yard sale :-)
Locally I can get Milwaukie or Lenox blades for it. They are from
Lowes and HD, and I don't know the model #'s of the Lenox blades.
Any experience out there on either blades?
Also tooth count? I will mostly be cutting 1/8" to 1/4" steel.
Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pirate wrote:
I lucked into a PorterCable Porta Band Saw for $10 at a yard sale :-)
Locally I can get Milwaukie or Lenox blades for it. They are from
Lowes and HD, and I don't know the model #'s of the Lenox blades.
Any experience out there on either blades?
Also tooth count? I will mostly be cutting 1/8" to 1/4" steel.
Thanks

The lennox variable pitch blades are pretty exciting.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't know. I got a Milwaukee PortaBand as a gift 3 or 4 years ago
and I am still on the first Milwaukee blade. I have used Lennox hole
saws, though and they cut pretty well. I really push them in my
application. Starret has worked the best for me there.

Pete Stanaitis
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 16, 5:07*pm, spaco wrote:
I don't know. *I got a Milwaukee PortaBand as a gift 3 or 4 years ago
and I am still on the first Milwaukee blade. *I have used Lennox hole
saws, though and they cut pretty well. *I really push them in my
application. *Starret has worked the best for me there.

Pete Stanaitis

Thanks for the replys.
I was at HD and bought a 2 pack of the Milwaukie 24 tpi blades. Test
cut in 1/8 angle was impressive.
Thanks again
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:52:30 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Pirate wrote:
I lucked into a PorterCable Porta Band Saw for $10 at a yard sale :-)
Locally I can get Milwaukie or Lenox blades for it. They are from
Lowes and HD, and I don't know the model #'s of the Lenox blades.
Any experience out there on either blades?
Also tooth count? I will mostly be cutting 1/8" to 1/4" steel.
Thanks

The lennox variable pitch blades are pretty exciting.

I've been very satisfied with the Milwaukee blades. They recommend a
14/18 blade for 5/32" to 5/16". It doesn't take much of an angle to
make the cut 5/32" when cutting 1/8" stock. The recommended blade for
up to 5/32 (which includes 1/8) is 24 tpi. The downside of using that
in 1/4" stock is just that it cuts more slowly than a 14/18.

The Lenox blades may be just as good, I've not tried them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pirate wrote:
I lucked into a PorterCable Porta Band Saw for $10 at a yard sale :-)
Locally I can get Milwaukie or Lenox blades for it. They are from
Lowes and HD, and I don't know the model #'s of the Lenox blades.
Any experience out there on either blades?
Also tooth count? I will mostly be cutting 1/8" to 1/4" steel.
Thanks

The lennox variable pitch blades are pretty exciting.

I've been very satisfied with the Milwaukee blades. They recommend a
14/18 blade for 5/32" to 5/16". It doesn't take much of an angle to
make the cut 5/32" when cutting 1/8" stock. The recommended blade for
up to 5/32 (which includes 1/8) is 24 tpi. The downside of using that
in 1/4" stock is just that it cuts more slowly than a 14/18.

I forgot to note that most of my work is also 1/8" to 1/4" steel, and
the blade I have in my saw most days is a Milwaukee 14/18. I've worn
out several considerably more expensive blades on my vertical bandsaw
but haven't yet worn out a Milwaukee blade.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pirate" wrote in message
I lucked into a PorterCable Porta Band Saw for $10 at a yard sale :-)
Locally I can get Milwaukie or Lenox blades for it. They are from
Lowes and HD, and I don't know the model #'s of the Lenox blades.
Any experience out there on either blades?
Also tooth count? I will mostly be cutting 1/8" to 1/4" steel.
Thanks

Tooth count.

Rule of thumb when sawing is to have no less than two teeth in the cut at
all times.. That prevents shucking teeth, which ruins a blade instantly.
By sharp contrast, too many teeth in contact results in the gullet being
filled with chips, preventing the blade from cutting properly. A small
variety of blades is a good investment, although if you will be restricted
to no larger than 1/4" steel, you will be well served with a 24 pitch blade.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
.. .

"Pirate" wrote in message
[...]

You're right about tooth count but its a PITA to change blades on my saw. As
I normally cut thick stuff, I have a 8 pitch blade in it. When doing thin
stock I turn up the speed and slow down on the restrictor for feed. Seems to
work. Not saying I've never caught a tooth, but it is rare and saves a bunch
of time.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 07:37:51 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
. ..

"Pirate" wrote in message
[...]

Blade change on a Milwaukee saw takes about 15 seconds.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pirate" wrote in message
[...]

Unless said saw is set up in a fixture that turns it into a vert saw with a
small table . Then changing blades becomes a PITA . Mine usually wears a
10/14 bimetallic ? from HF - Morse brand and about 20 bucks for 3 blades
..
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pirate" wrote in message
[...]

.

I think a 3-pack of Milwaukee blades is less than 20 bux at Depot.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

I think a 3-pack of Milwaukee blades is less than 20 bux at Depot.

I'll be checkong that out ! I've been happy overall with the Morse blades
from HF, but the selection of TPI is limited - they only carry that one type
.. My son the autoparts man got me some (DeWalt) from his store , they were
only available in 18 TPI . Be nice to have more of a selection .

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

I think a 3-pack of Milwaukee blades is less than 20 bux at Depot.

I'll be checkong that out ! I've been happy overall with the Morse
blades from HF, but the selection of TPI is limited - they only carry
that one type . My son the autoparts man got me some (DeWalt) from
his store , they were only available in 18 TPI . Be nice to have more
of a selection .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"
'39 WLDD "PopCycle"
BS 132/SENS/DOF

So I went by the local Home Depot , picked up a package of the Milwaukee
blades . Turns out it's fifteen bucks for two blades , which is a bit higher
initial cost then the Morse ($7.50 vs $6.67). The write-up on their website
makes it sound like these blades can do everything but wash the dishes ...
we'll see .
The biggest problem I have is catching/binding the blade while cutting an
irregular shape (like cutting sprues off castings) , putting a kink in it .
To be fair in my comparison , I bought the same pitch blades I've been using
.. I'll see if these last longer , they claim 3X the life of a standard blade
..
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 08:50:03 -0700 (PDT), Pirate
wrote:

I lucked into a PorterCable Porta Band Saw for $10 at a yard sale :-)
Locally I can get Milwaukie or Lenox blades for it. They are from
Lowes and HD, and I don't know the model #'s of the Lenox blades.
Any experience out there on either blades?
Also tooth count? I will mostly be cutting 1/8" to 1/4" steel.
Thanks

YOU SUCK!!!!

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate