Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any Clausing 6900 series owners? Control pin in apron not working.

Here's a problem that totally baffles me.

Refer to page 36 of my manual, APRON ASSEMBLY 6900-506:

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Claus...hes-Manual.pdf

On this page,a "control pin" is shown, part number 562-085, with
Spring 697-053.

I understand is that the purpose of this control pin is to serve as an
interlock, and to prevent half nuts to be engaged at the same time as
the worm drive. It is supposed to be more retracted in one position
and less retracted in another, and allows half nuts to engage by
permitting the "LOCK ARM PLATE 556-190" to allow the scroll assembly
to turn.

However, it does not seem to work: the control pin sticks too far out,
and is pushed by the lock arm plate and does not let it go. When I
bought the lathe, the control pin was bent. I straightened is so that
it slides in and out, but still, it still does not get pushed in and
does not serve the function of the interlock.

Has anyone had a similar problem.

thanks a lot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus17386 wrote:

[...]

Is there some sort of bevel on the lock arm to allow it to push the control pin and
compress the spring?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Ig, Don't have one of these[1], but from looking at the parts diagram...

My suspicion is that the reduced diameter of the pin 562-085 rides in a cam
track in the hub ass'y 6900-39 and acts on the lock arm plate 556-190 - is
it possible that this is misaligned / mis-assembled? It might be worth
taking the hub ass'y out (C-364S retains it?) and manually working /feeling
the movement of the control pin after inspecting the cam track, I suspect
the pin is locked in the out position unless the hub assy is in the neutral
position (where there should be a dip in the cam?), and is otherwise held
only under the spring pressure against the lock arm plate - the plate
556-190 looks like it has a ramped front face at the lefthand end (which
could be mistaken for wear and replaced with a plain square end, probably
causing the pin to bend...), and would press the pin back into the hub ass'y
against the spring *if the feed lever is in the neutral position while
engaging the halfnuts*, or would be blocked if the cam is pushing the pin
out when feeds are engaged?

Just my ha'pence worth; I may be wrong, in fact I often am...

Dave H.
--
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

"Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men" -
Douglas Bader

[1] Rare on this side of the pond - and don't (yet) have any kind of lathe,
although SWMBO has given the thumbs-up to one (partly so I can build her a
Big Trike) - she's not aware of the collateral expenses though! New concrete
base for Shed2 (Shed 2.1?), lots of electrical work, trench up the garden
for cable... Damn those 10HP motors!

"Ignoramus17386" wrote...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Claus...es-Lathes-Manu
al.pdf

On this page,a "control pin" is shown, part number 562-085, with
Spring 697-053.

I understand is that the purpose of this control pin is to serve as an
interlock, and to prevent half nuts to be engaged at the same time as
the worm drive. It is supposed to be more retracted in one position
and less retracted in another, and allows half nuts to engage by
permitting the "LOCK ARM PLATE 556-190" to allow the scroll assembly
to turn.

However, it does not seem to work: the control pin sticks too far out,
and is pushed by the lock arm plate and does not let it go. When I
bought the lathe, the control pin was bent. I straightened is so that
it slides in and out, but still, it still does not get pushed in and
does not serve the function of the interlock.

Has anyone had a similar problem.

I would call Clausing Tech Support and ask.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-05, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I would call Clausing Tech Support and ask.

I called them. did not get anything useful.

What I think is that the "CAM Q-316" is incorrectly positioned on the
scroll assembly and needs to be rotated. Perhaps the issue is that,
due to bad orientation of the cam, the lock arm plate does not travel
in the correct area.