Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CNC question

Along I 15 in Las Vegas, there are some fake ocotillo plants. They are made
out of common rebar, and have an orange flower made of a piece of sheet
metal about 2" x 6", cut in a squiggly pattern. Is there anyone in this
group who has a CNC laser or plasma torch that might be up to making me a
couple hundred?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-25, Steve B wrote:
Along I 15 in Las Vegas, there are some fake ocotillo plants. They are made
out of common rebar, and have an orange flower made of a piece of sheet
metal about 2" x 6", cut in a squiggly pattern. Is there anyone in this
group who has a CNC laser or plasma torch that might be up to making me a
couple hundred?

Steve, I thought that you had plans to buy one?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-25, Steve B wrote:
Along I 15 in Las Vegas, there are some fake ocotillo plants. They are
made
out of common rebar, and have an orange flower made of a piece of sheet
metal about 2" x 6", cut in a squiggly pattern. Is there anyone in this
group who has a CNC laser or plasma torch that might be up to making me a
couple hundred?

Steve, I thought that you had plans to buy one?

Reality set in.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-25, Steve B wrote:
Along I 15 in Las Vegas, there are some fake ocotillo plants. They are
made
out of common rebar, and have an orange flower made of a piece of sheet
metal about 2" x 6", cut in a squiggly pattern. Is there anyone in this
group who has a CNC laser or plasma torch that might be up to making me a
couple hundred?

Steve, I thought that you had plans to buy one?

Reality set in.

Steve

I could cut them as long as they are say 22ga or thicker. I'm still
working on fine tuning (well, avoiding since the shop is cold) my
machine to handle really thin 30ga stuff, but no problem on stuff a bit
thicker.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

22 would be fine. I shall put a pic on flickr. Very simple.

Steve

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 23:30:58 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

Along I 15 in Las Vegas, there are some fake ocotillo plants. They are made
out of common rebar, and have an orange flower made of a piece of sheet
metal about 2" x 6", cut in a squiggly pattern. Is there anyone in this
group who has a CNC laser or plasma torch that might be up to making me a
couple hundred?

Ocotillos are cool plants. What does the artist make the thorns from
if he's using rebar?

I miss the Sonoran desert plants from LoCal every once in awhile. I
love the Palo Verdes and California Pepper Trees, too.
http://www.hotgardens.net/leafy_trees.htm

(for you desert-deprived souls who are now under all that snow, here
are some pics of HOT desert plants.

http://www.banana-tree.com/fouquiera...-ocotillo.html Look
closely. It's rare to see flowering ocotillo trees. Under EACH of
those thousands of pretty little green leaves are 1-2" long spikes
which will flatten a tire with ease.

http://www.sonoranway.com/images/ocotillo_plant.jpg

http://plants.usda.gov/gallery/pubs/fosp2_001_php.jpg Some spikes
showing here.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...24757/ocotillo Strange web
interaction here, at least in Firefox 3.6. You can see spikes in
clear view here, under the leaves.

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here's a closer look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We have Palo Verdes in Texas - had one near an office in Austin
in an empty lot. I liked it myself and captured some seed :-)
Someday I'll drill a hole and soak a seed to start a sprout.
I wonder about a bonsi :-) Flowering green bark, yellow flower tree.

I do remember fond years in Az and west Texas.

If you can't get them cut - let me know. I have cnc plasma.

Martin

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pictures of an ocotillo up close

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

pictures of an ocotillo up close

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Looks simple enough.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 19:35:13 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

Here's a closer look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

"Oh." he replied. I guess they serve their purpose from a _distance_,
eh?

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
remedy." -- Ernest Benn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 19:35:13 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

Here's a closer look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

"Oh." he replied. I guess they serve their purpose from a _distance_,
eh?

I'm sorry. Was that a question? Could you rewrite it in the form of a
coherent question?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 07:39:51 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 19:35:13 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

Here's a closer look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

"Oh." he replied. I guess they serve their purpose from a _distance_,
eh?

I'm sorry. Was that a question? Could you rewrite it in the form of a
coherent question?

No real question. I was saying they don't look like much close-up, and
that they're made to be viewed from a distance. Ambiance art.

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
remedy." -- Ernest Benn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote

No real question. I was saying they don't look like much close-up, and
that they're made to be viewed from a distance. Ambiance art.

Ah, thanks. I can reply to that. From a distance, they look a bit like an
ocotillo. They do look okay, but a little more attention to detail would
have made them look a lot better in mho, plus gradual bends would have been
a LOT more realistic. I don't know what the right angles in the rebar are
all about. Plus, the flowers are not anything like an ocotillo flower. I'm
going to go to the nursery of Google and get a better idea of what a real
flower looks like, and then use that even if I have to pound them from the
flat pieces that are cut out, or combine several.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:43:38 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

No real question. I was saying they don't look like much close-up, and
that they're made to be viewed from a distance. Ambiance art.

Ah, thanks. I can reply to that. From a distance, they look a bit like an
ocotillo. They do look okay, but a little more attention to detail would
have made them look a lot better in mho, plus gradual bends would have been
a LOT more realistic. I don't know what the right angles in the rebar are

Yeah, real ocotillos don't have sharp bends. Poetic license or a
touch of the cubist overcame the poor sot, I guess.

all about. Plus, the flowers are not anything like an ocotillo flower. I'm
going to go to the nursery of Google and get a better idea of what a real
flower looks like, and then use that even if I have to pound them from the
flat pieces that are cut out, or combine several.

I hadn't seen his style until I went to Wiki. There is one which looks
something like his after all.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lo02262006.JPG

http://www.banana-tree.com/fouquiera...-ocotillo.html
This is the type I saw in Ocotillo Wells, CA (the Anza-Borrego Desert
section of North America's Sonoran Desert) the closest desert to Vista
when I lived there. The same type is in the xeriscape gardens in the
San Diego Wild Animal Park, my favorite hiking spot. I walked around
while listening to African wild animal noises, smelling exotic poo,
then stumbling upon a Sumatran tiger or two, and then hiked past an
African lion and his mate. I miss that place and bikinis on the beach
in LoCal.

I would have thought they popped onto the end like an xmas tree angel
(ouch!) or a spear point. I think he used all the same shape, too,
where I'd use at least half a dozen different shaped flowers and/or
paint schemes for a bit more realistic look.

Hey, if you make a gazillion leaves and paint 'em green, it'll stay in
spring bloom all year round! It wouldn't take more than a couple
years to do, either. vbg

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The one on Wiki is a sad looking maybe dead plant.

Noting like driving in the outbacks and find an old plant
that is trained into a shelter. blooming in arcs.

Martin

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:05:56 -0600, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"
scrawled the following:

The one on Wiki is a sad looking maybe dead plant.

It's at the end of the bloom season, with all the leaves gone but
still sportin' fleurs. I most often have seen ocotillos in the
off-season, with no noticeable growth except the thorns, and I've
found them beautiful in that state, too. shrug

Noting like driving in the outbacks and find an old plant
that is trained into a shelter. blooming in arcs.

Cool.