Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CNC Bridgeport with Heidenhein control

Ignoramus26960 wrote:

Guys, what do you think about these controls

http://www.machmotion.com/CNC-Contro..._38/index.html

specifically this

http://www.machmotion.com/CNC-Contro...duct_info.html

The Machmotion stuff is based on the Mach3 CNC control software which
runs under Windows. I use Mach3 as do a lot of other folks and we all
like it. Obviously it costs more than free EMC2 under free Linux.

In any event, you would likely need the "CNC Mill Control Analog"
package to work with your existing servo motors and drives. You may also
need encoders depending on exactly what your mill has for feedback and
if it is compatible with the quadrature encoder inputs in the analog
control package. The package in your link requires existing digital
drives and your mill will have older analog drives.

I will note that Machmotion takes components such as the Mach3 software,
motion controllers (I think that one is from Geckodrives), and various
other components and packages them in more industrial ready kits. You
can buy the same components separately and do your own integration and
enclosure retrofitting and save some $.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

Ignoramus26960 wrote:

[...]

Looking further on their site, if I were going to spend the money, I'd
get their "Mill kit - TECO" which includes both the control and complete
new AC brushless servo motors and drives for nearly the same price as
the one to retrofit the existing old drives. With that kit the whole
conversion would probably take a long weekend.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-25, Pete C. wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

Ignoramus26960 wrote:

[...]

Pete, the thought is cool, but I think that this Series II takes next
sie motors, not 30 inch/lbs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-25, Pete C. wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

Ignoramus26960 wrote:

[...]

I'd try to find the spec for the existing ones. Those TECO ones are ~30
continuous and quite a bit more intermittent. They are size 42 and
should mount right up. A call to MM should confirm if they are suitable
for a Series II that isn't being pushed at high production feed rates.