Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CNC Bridgeport with Heidenhein control

On 2010-02-24, Bob La Londe wrote:

"Ignoramus21067" wrote in message
Someone is offering me a Bridgeport Series II Interact CNC mill. He
says that it worked but the Heidenhein controller is no longer
operational. Whether this is true or not, as always is questionable.

The price is $500.

Heck if if the CNC is totally dead you can completely retrofit it to run
with Mach 3 for 500 with new motors even and add a cheap PC.

$500 for a big mill sounds pretty cheap whether any of the CNC is good or
not.

I need to do a lot of reading about CNC in short order so that I can
understand all the terminology, such as double loop, etc.

If anyone can suggest an intro book into this, I would greatly
appreciate and buy it immediately.

Here's a guy who converted the same exact mill to EMC2

http://machineability.com/Bridgeport_series_II.html

Load up and run EMC2 or Mach3 in demo mode with no machine. I use Mach3,
mostly because it was ready for prime time before EMC2 was. When I
started with CNC I tried EMC (EMC2 wasn't out then) and Mach3 side by
side on identical PCs controlling the same machine (at different times)
and chose Mach3 as the more polished solution. EMC2 should be more on
par with Mach3, but I haven't tried it since I already have Mach3 and
the hobby license is unlimited.

CNC controls are a *lot* simpler than you might think, and a little
fiddling and you should have it figured out very quickly. The G code
that CNC controllers operate on is nothing more than simple positioning
commands for the most part. Where is gets complicated is in the CAD/CAM
end and generating code for full 3D work, and you really don't need to
get fully into that for hobby work. Most hobby work tends to be 2.5D,
not full 3D and that makes it quite a bit simpler. Look at SheetCAM for
an example of a decent 2.5D CAM package.

For hobby work, you'll find that the few things you really need 3D moves
for are usually ones that are easy enough to hand code. There are
specific G code commands for arcs and stuff which are useful if you're
hand coding, but they aren't typically used by CAM programs which mostly
generate the code as line segments since code length isn't a concern on
an modern CNC control.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-24, Pete C. wrote:
[...]

Thank you Pete. Are there some provisions for using this mill in kind
of manual mode. Let's say that I just want to drill a hole in a part
and mill off a corner, something that is easy to do with a manual
mill. How much harder would it be to do with CNC. Maybe with keyboard
arrows or some such. The question probably shows my ignorance, but I
want to know how much I am giving up by switching to CNC.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26960 wrote:

On 2010-02-24, Pete C. wrote:
[...]

Two "manual" functions:

MDI - Manual data input, basically a CLI interface to the G code
interpreter. You just enter a single G code command at a time like "G01
X4.5 Y3.7 F150" which moves to the specified X and Y position at the
specified 150 IPM feed rate.

Jog wheel - You can manually move one axis at a time using the jog wheel
and you can set the jog steps to increments like 1", .1", .01", .001".

Once you get familiar with G code, jog will only be used for "touch off"
functions to establish your zero, and then you'll use MDI input for
anything manual, or just pop up a text editor and write a quick chuck of
G code then load and run it.

I haven't looked at the EMC2 docs, but I know there is a decent G code
reference section in the Mach3 docs you could download and look at. G
code is a standard, so it's pretty much the same for any control (they
do have custom extensions on some).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus26960" wrote in message
On 2010-02-24, Pete C. wrote:
[...]

Mach 3 has "Wizards" included in the licensed version that will allow you to
simple code very quickly for mill drilling, pocketing and surfacing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 24, 10:46*am, Ignoramus26960 ignoramus26...@NOSPAM.
26960.invalid wrote:

Thank you Pete. Are there some provisions for using this mill in kind
of manual mode. Let's say that I just want to drill a hole in a part
and mill off a corner, something that is easy to do with a manual
mill. How much harder would it be to do with CNC. ...
i-

I use an EZ Trak Bridgeport manually when reworking a part to scribed
lines and punch marks. The Jog knob substitutes for the table cranks.
After a little practice to remember the button sequences it isn't that
much different from using a manual DRO machine.

The CRT died on that one too.

An example of an EGA to VGA adapter:
http://www.controlcable.com/custom.asp?i=65033

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

26960.invalid wrote:

Thank you Pete. Are there some provisions for using this mill in kind
of manual mode. Let's say that I just want to drill a hole in a part
and mill off a corner, something that is easy to do with a manual
mill. How much harder would it be to do with CNC. ...
i-

I use an EZ Trak Bridgeport manually when reworking a part to scribed
lines and punch marks. The Jog knob substitutes for the table cranks.
After a little practice to remember the button sequences it isn't that
much different from using a manual DRO machine.

The CRT died on that one too.

An example of an EGA to VGA adapter:
http://www.controlcable.com/custom.asp?i=65033

Jim, sorry for a dumb, repetitive, redundant question, but I just want to make
sure. This thing converts incoming EGA signal to outgoing VGA
signal. So I can plug in a regular 15 inch VGA monitor (which I have)
into the EGA output of the Heidenhein control, using this converter
int he middle? Right?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

26960.invalid wrote:

[...]

It's not clear what it does really. From what I've found, the VGA RGB
signals are .7V p-p, and sending raw TTL 5V RGB signals to those lines
probably would be bad. Of course there could be little resistor ladder
D/A converters molded in there somewhere, but I wouldn't count on it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 24, 7:37*pm, Ignoramus26960 ignoramus26...@NOSPAM.
On 2010-02-24, Jim Wilkins wrote:
An example of an EGA to VGA adapter:
http://www.controlcable.com/custom.asp?i=65033

Jim, sorry for a dumb, repetitive, redundant question, but I just want to make
sure. This thing converts incoming EGA signal to outgoing VGA
signal. So I can plug in a regular 15 inch VGA monitor (which I have)
into the EGA output of the Heidenhein control, using this converter
int he middle? Right?
i-

That is a question for the older smart guy at the local computer store
where you buy it. They do exist and aren't expensive.

Go when they aren't too busy and leave yourself some time. My last
simple question lead to a story about back when he worked at Intel.
Another one talked for an hour past closing until his worried wife
called.

jsw,
who practiced looking attentive for long periods for this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Milk_Train_Doesn't_Stop_Here_Anymore
The hard part was keeping my eyes up on her face.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It seems to me that you might be asking if there is a manual mode, similar
to using a pendant control on a robotic machine, that allows the operator to
take control of the robot's motion capabilities.
With some robots, there is a "teach" mode, where the operator can save the
motions of a task.

I don't know that answer, but I'm curious if any home shop machines have a
pendant mode.

--
WB

"Ignoramus26960" wrote in message

Thank you Pete. Are there some provisions for using this mill in kind
of manual mode. Let's say that I just want to drill a hole in a part
and mill off a corner, something that is easy to do with a manual
mill. How much harder would it be to do with CNC. Maybe with keyboard
arrows or some such. The question probably shows my ignorance, but I
want to know how much I am giving up by switching to CNC.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/24/2010 8:17 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

jsw,
who practiced looking attentive for long periods for this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Milk_Train_Doesn't_Stop_Here_Anymore
The hard part was keeping my eyes up on her face.

Nice figure, Hmm?

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26960 wrote:

Thank you Pete. Are there some provisions for using this mill in kind
of manual mode. Let's say that I just want to drill a hole in a part
and mill off a corner, something that is easy to do with a manual
mill. How much harder would it be to do with CNC. Maybe with keyboard
arrows or some such. The question probably shows my ignorance, but I
want to know how much I am giving up by switching to CNC.

Some of the old tape-NC controls were not at all
set up for manual machining.
Later CNC controls with CRTs were not too bad, and
your TNC-151 should
be in that era. They have jog buttons and maybe
even an MPG to crank
like a manual machine's handwheels. Pretty much
all PC retrofits will
also allow you to do that. I used the jog keys on
the keyboard for a while,
but put MPGs on my two machines now and find them
to be a great addition.
But, when manually facing off a surface or
something, I still use the jog keys
to get a constant feed rate.

My tabletop milimill has handwheels, and EMC works
as a DRO when it is in
E-stop, so I could use it completely manually, but
I never seem to do that.
I run it with the jog pendant instead. (I bought
this machine for on the road
demos, and never did any real machining on it
until I put a spindle encoder
on it, now I use it for rigid tapping 4-40 holes
on some of my parts. So, that is
pretty much its only actual machining it gets.)

Somebody mentioned putting a spindle encoder on
your BOSS, but the way Bridgeport built their
machine heads, if it didn't come with a spindle
encoder, you will find it difficult to install
one. That's why I don't have a spindle encoder on
my Bridgeport. I think the only clean way to do
it is to put a pair of gear tooth sensors through
the side of the housing to pick up quadrature off
the bull gear, and add a magnet sensor for the
spindle index.
The way the spindle slides in the spline, and the
back gear and direct drive clutch all nest
together, there just isn't any place to add a
sprocket to pick up the direct spindle position
for an encoder. I suspect you have a 4-J head on
that machine, it may have a little more room in it
than my 1-J head.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-25, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus26960 wrote:

Thank you Pete. Are there some provisions for using this mill in kind
of manual mode. Let's say that I just want to drill a hole in a part
and mill off a corner, something that is easy to do with a manual
mill. How much harder would it be to do with CNC. Maybe with keyboard
arrows or some such. The question probably shows my ignorance, but I
want to know how much I am giving up by switching to CNC.

Some of the old tape-NC controls were not at all set up for manual
machining. Later CNC controls with CRTs were not too bad, and your
TNC-151 should be in that era. They have jog buttons and maybe even
an MPG to crank like a manual machine's handwheels.

What is an MPG?

Pretty much all PC retrofits will also allow you to do that. I used
the jog keys on the keyboard for a while, but put MPGs on my two
machines now and find them to be a great addition. But, when
manually facing off a surface or something, I still use the jog keys
to get a constant feed rate.

I am cool with doing it with keys or even command line. I am a command
line kind of person.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-25, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus26960 wrote:

Thank you Pete. Are there some provisions for using this mill in kind
of manual mode. Let's say that I just want to drill a hole in a part
and mill off a corner, something that is easy to do with a manual
mill. How much harder would it be to do with CNC. Maybe with keyboard
arrows or some such. The question probably shows my ignorance, but I
want to know how much I am giving up by switching to CNC.

Some of the old tape-NC controls were not at all set up for manual
machining. Later CNC controls with CRTs were not too bad, and your
TNC-151 should be in that era. They have jog buttons and maybe even
an MPG to crank like a manual machine's handwheels.

What is an MPG?

MPG = Manual Pulse Generator, the manual hand wheel input to the CNC
control. You select the axis you want to move, usually with a rotary
selector switch, and the step per MPG wheel click usually with another
rotary switch.

Pretty much all PC retrofits will also allow you to do that. I used
the jog keys on the keyboard for a while, but put MPGs on my two
machines now and find them to be a great addition. But, when
manually facing off a surface or something, I still use the jog keys
to get a constant feed rate.

I am cool with doing it with keys or even command line. I am a command
line kind of person.

MDI a.k.a. CLI is the way to go generally for manual operations beyond
edge finding.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

26960.invalid wrote:

[...]

Assuming that the monitor supports the scan rates (and thus the
resolution) that the EGA connector produces. I think that pretty much
any multisync monitor can go down that far. Double check for LCD
monitors, as not all will support all lower rates.

If you can find a LCD screen which will handle the proper rates,
that strikes me as the one which makes sense to use in a shop
environment -- less surface area of ventilation holes for chips to fall
into -- and less power consumption as well.

The pinouts for the two interfaces a

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/EGA
http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/VGA_15_Pin

Note that the EGA output is at TTL levels, while the VGA is 0.7
V P-P at 75 Ohm impedance, so a voltage divider on each color signal
will be needed -- and perhaps another divider for the secondary color
outputs on EGA to give differing intensities. I haven't bothered to
check whether there will also need to be inversion of sync signals. For
that -- if needed -- you would need some active circuits and thus a
power source.

But since the converters are available for not much money, that
strikes me as the way to go.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

26960.invalid wrote:

[...]

Don, so, if I can get a NEC MultiSync monitor and that EGA to VGA
cable, I could then see the EGA image? Did I get that right?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

26960.invalid wrote:

[...]

No, nothing to do with NEC Multisync monitors, they just happen to use
that name. Pretty much all current monitors are multisync, the days of
monitors that only handled one specific scan rate are long gone.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-25, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus26960 wrote:

Thank you Pete. Are there some provisions for using this mill in kind
of manual mode. Let's say that I just want to drill a hole in a part
and mill off a corner, something that is easy to do with a manual
mill. How much harder would it be to do with CNC. Maybe with keyboard
arrows or some such. The question probably shows my ignorance, but I
want to know how much I am giving up by switching to CNC.

Some of the old tape-NC controls were not at all set up for manual
machining. Later CNC controls with CRTs were not too bad, and your
TNC-151 should be in that era. They have jog buttons and maybe even
an MPG to crank like a manual machine's handwheels.

What is an MPG?

I think that it expands (in this use) to "Manual Pulse
Generator". Think of a knob or handwheel connected to a quadrature
encoder so it produces the pulses to move the table and quill. Ideally,
set up three of them on a box to represent the three axes in an
intuitive way.

Pretty much all PC retrofits will also allow you to do that. I used
the jog keys on the keyboard for a while, but put MPGs on my two
machines now and find them to be a great addition. But, when
manually facing off a surface or something, I still use the jog keys
to get a constant feed rate.

I am cool with doing it with keys or even command line. I am a command
line kind of person.

As am I -- but I think that a MPG is a nice extension to the
keyboard for feeding the mill's motions.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2215 wrote:

What is an MPG?

OOps, sorry, jargon. Manual Pulse Generator, ie.
a hand-cranked encoder, usually with 100 detent
positions. Many CNC controls have them. Some
people hate them, some people love them. Very
handy for use with edge finders, for instance.
Get close, turn the rate selector to .0001 then
every full crank of the dial is .01"

I am cool with doing it with keys or even command line. I am a command
line kind of person.

You will not find zig-zagging across a piece of
stock to clean up the face all that
much fun to do with MDI (uhh, there goes that
jargon again) MDI = Manual Data Input
So, you would enter :
G01 F10 X5
G01 F10 Y0.5
G01 F10 X0

and so forth. MUCH easier to do with jog buttons.
There are places where MDI is just perfect, like
keying in a fixture offset before starting a
program or something like that.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-25, Ignoramus26960 wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Not just NEC MultiSync, but any other which can handle the
needed scan rate. I was using "multisync" as a generic term, not a
brand name. Note that I used lower case in the term.

The converter card which you posted a link to (or someone else
posted the link) looks as though it will also handle scan rate
conversions -- so that and a LCD monitor looks like the best bet in
terms of surviving shop conditions -- with a sheet of Plexiglas or Lexan
to protect the screen from hot chips and coolant splatters.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
It seems to me that you might be asking if there is a manual mode, similar
to using a pendant control on a robotic machine, that allows the operator
to take control of the robot's motion capabilities.
With some robots, there is a "teach" mode, where the operator can save the
motions of a task.

I don't know that answer, but I'm curious if any home shop machines have a
pendant mode.

Mach 3 registered has a learn mode in the collection of Wizards. Also, you
can use keyboard controls to directly control the machine. I use both of
those things. I'm curious how you thought us home shop guys zeroed the
machine to the work piece?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-02, Bob La Londe wrote:

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
It seems to me that you might be asking if there is a manual mode, similar
to using a pendant control on a robotic machine, that allows the operator
to take control of the robot's motion capabilities.
With some robots, there is a "teach" mode, where the operator can save the
motions of a task.

I don't know that answer, but I'm curious if any home shop machines have a
pendant mode.

Mach 3 registered has a learn mode in the collection of Wizards. Also, you
can use keyboard controls to directly control the machine. I use both of
those things. I'm curious how you thought us home shop guys zeroed the
machine to the work piece?

I am reading the EMC2 manual, it has a nice jog mode, I can run
everything with keyboard arrows for X,Y and PgUp/PgDn for Z.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks, Bob.. the jog function was previously discussed, so I assumed that
an operator had control capabilities, but I was curious about
teaching/learning feaures.

--
WB