Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What lathes have 2 1/2-6TPI spindles

I found a lathe faceplate in trash, that has a 2 1/2-6TPI thread, and
I am wondering what lathes does it fit. Took an hour to sandblast that
one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus21067 wrote:

I found a lathe faceplate in trash, that has a 2 1/2-6TPI thread, and
I am wondering what lathes does it fit. Took an hour to sandblast that
one.

Old ones, mostly. I might have one that size in my herd, or it might be
2x6 and one is 3 or 3-1/2 x 6 (haven't really been looking for anything
for them, so it's been a while since I measured them). Both late 1800's
flat belt drive Babbitt bearings.

LH or RH thread? The patternmakers lathe (smaller spindle of the two)
has a LH outboard mount.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-23, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus21067 wrote:

I found a lathe faceplate in trash, that has a 2 1/2-6TPI thread, and
I am wondering what lathes does it fit. Took an hour to sandblast that
one.

Old ones, mostly. I might have one that size in my herd, or it might be
2x6 and one is 3 or 3-1/2 x 6 (haven't really been looking for anything
for them, so it's been a while since I measured them). Both late 1800's
flat belt drive Babbitt bearings.

LH or RH thread? The patternmakers lathe (smaller spindle of the two)
has a LH outboard mount.

I thought it was RH thread.

I really "do not understand" why would anyone make a spindle like
that. With a faceplate this big, a big part could be mounted on it. If
the lathe is stopped, the whole assembly could unscrew from the
spindle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-23, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus21067 wrote:

I found a lathe faceplate in trash, that has a 2 1/2-6TPI thread, and
I am wondering what lathes does it fit. Took an hour to sandblast that
one.

Old ones, mostly. I might have one that size in my herd, or it might be
2x6 and one is 3 or 3-1/2 x 6 (haven't really been looking for anything
for them, so it's been a while since I measured them). Both late 1800's
flat belt drive Babbitt bearings.

LH or RH thread? The patternmakers lathe (smaller spindle of the two)
has a LH outboard mount.

I thought it was RH thread.

I really "do not understand" why would anyone make a spindle like
that. With a faceplate this big, a big part could be mounted on it. If
the lathe is stopped, the whole assembly could unscrew from the
spindle.

You've noticed why all the more modern spindles moved to a positive
drive / lock design like the L and D spindles.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I really "do not understand" why would anyone make a spindle like
that. With a faceplate this big, a big part could be mounted on it. If
the lathe is stopped, the whole assembly could unscrew from the
spindle.

You've noticed why all the more modern spindles moved to a positive
drive / lock design like the L and D spindles.

My old clunker Leblond has this. No brake to stop the spindle, let it coast
down. I kept the old girl. It is handy to have a 20" by 120" lathe for light
hobby use.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 23, 8:16*am, Ignoramus21067 ignoramus21...@NOSPAM.
On 2010-02-23, Ecnerwal wrote:

In article ,
*Ignoramus21067 wrote:

I found a lathe faceplate in trash, that has a 2 1/2-6TPI thread, and
I am wondering what lathes does it fit. Took an hour to sandblast that
one.

Old ones, mostly. I might have one that size in my herd, or it might be
2x6 and one is 3 or 3-1/2 x 6 (haven't really been looking for anything
for them, so it's been a while since I measured them). Both late 1800's
flat belt drive Babbitt bearings.

LH or RH thread? The patternmakers lathe (smaller spindle of the two)
has a LH outboard mount.

I thought it was RH thread.

I really "do not understand" why would anyone make a spindle like
that. With a faceplate this big, a big part could be mounted on it. If
the lathe is stopped, the whole assembly could unscrew from the
spindle.

That is probably why it didn't stop very fast. Probably used an
overhead powered flat belt system that was slackened to slip the drive
belt off the pulley. Then if the faceplate was still turning, a stick
of wood could be used to stop it.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 23, 9:33*am, Ignoramus21067 ignoramus21...@NOSPAM.
21067.invalid wrote:
I found a lathe faceplate in trash, that has a 2 1/2-6TPI thread, and
I am wondering what lathes does it fit. Took an hour to sandblast that
one.

How big Ig?

I have found that the old faceplates work great for projects.

TMT