Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Source for Delrin bushings

I'm thinking of making Delrin bushings for my Clausing 5914 Varispeed
drive rather than buying the premade ones from Clausing at around $28
apiece. I didn't spot anything quite the right size on eBay. It
looks like the OD will be somewhere around 2" and will be bored to
about 1.750" I probably need one or two pieces about 6" long

Anybody got a favorite source for Delrin.

What epoxy or other glue sticks to Delrin? I need to glue them inside
a pulley sheave. They'll be sliding back and forth, but won't be
rotating.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When I repaired my newly purchased 5914 back in the late '90s, there
were no traces of any green (or any other color) material on the
chewed up pulley shaft and I had no idea that there was a special
material on the shaft. I had not seen any discussion of the surface
finish of the 5914 shafts on this list back then (this list was much
more on topic and even the off topic were more technical and not as
political back then).

I cut a keyway on the opposite side of the shaft and brazed up the
surface of the shaft and then turned the shaft down in my 1920s
vintage SB lathe. Since the shaft was now most likely undersize (it
was too chewed up to be able to discern what the dia. of the shaft was
originally, I chose to make my own bushings. I used an engineered
bearing material, long since forgot the name, I was given the bearing
material as an engineering sample that was supposed to be competitive
to Vespel (Ve$pel, was outragiously expensive back in the late '80s).
The bushings have help up well for occasional hobby use.

Personally, I see no reason to make your own bushings if you need to
go out and buy stock - unless you are intent on spending more money
(and time) or the remaining stock will be of some use for a future
project.

On Feb 15, 11:02 pm, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET
wrote:
I'm thinking of making Delrin bushings for my Clausing 5914 Varispeed
drive rather than buying the premade ones from Clausing at around $28
apiece. I didn't spot anything quite the right size on eBay. It
looks like the OD will be somewhere around 2" and will be bored to
about 1.750" I probably need one or two pieces about 6" long

Anybody got a favorite source for Delrin.

What epoxy or other glue sticks to Delrin? I need to glue them inside
a pulley sheave. They'll be sliding back and forth, but won't be
rotating.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If I remember correctly, Delrin is acetal with short glass
fibers added, maybe to improve abrasion resistence. Pure acetal
might be a better choice.

Hul

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
I'm thinking of making Delrin bushings for my Clausing 5914 Varispeed
drive rather than buying the premade ones from Clausing at around $28
apiece. I didn't spot anything quite the right size on eBay. It
looks like the OD will be somewhere around 2" and will be bored to
about 1.750" I probably need one or two pieces about 6" long

Anybody got a favorite source for Delrin.

What epoxy or other glue sticks to Delrin? I need to glue them inside
a pulley sheave. They'll be sliding back and forth, but won't be
rotating.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/15/2010 11:02 PM, GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
I'm thinking of making Delrin bushings for my Clausing 5914 Varispeed
drive rather than buying the premade ones from Clausing at around $28
apiece.

Would readymades work for you?

http://igus.bdol.com/pdf/m250.pdf

The last time I bought slippery plastic from McMaster, the adhesive
recommended was Loctite 380.

http://www.rshughes.com/images/produ...2YntZ29qww.pdf

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

I'm thinking of making Delrin bushings for my Clausing 5914 Varispeed
drive rather than buying the premade ones from Clausing at around $28
apiece. I didn't spot anything quite the right size on eBay. It
looks like the OD will be somewhere around 2" and will be bored to
about 1.750" I probably need one or two pieces about 6" long

Anybody got a favorite source for Delrin.

What epoxy or other glue sticks to Delrin? I need to glue them inside
a pulley sheave. They'll be sliding back and forth, but won't be
rotating.

RWL

Does your bushing look like this?

http://wess.freeshell.org/bushing2.jpg

I'll hold on further comment until I get a reply.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Do you realize that they have to be shaped in the exact certain way?
They are not round.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 19:24:23 -0500, Wes wrote:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

I'm thinking of making Delrin bushings for my Clausing 5914 Varispeed
drive rather than buying the premade ones from Clausing at around $28
apiece.

RWL

Does your bushing look like this?

http://wess.freeshell.org/bushing2.jpg

I'll hold on further comment until I get a reply.

Wes

I don't have the VS drive apart yet, but that's the picture I've seen
of the bushings for Clausing drives. Actually, now that I think about
it, I saw that picture on your page with the great write up of
rebuilding your VS drive. Your write up gave me the courage to tackle
mine. I got as far as getting the timing belt, countershaft and
variable speed belt out tonight. I'll work on it a little over the
next few evenings as I have time. My lathe is mid production run -
circa 1964-65, so it shouldn't have the bronze bushings.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-16, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane wrote:
I'm thinking of making Delrin bushings for my Clausing 5914 Varispeed

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:36:02 -0600, Ignoramus21666
wrote:
Do you realize that they have to be shaped in the exact certain way?
They are not round.

I"m not sure what you mean Iggy. I have seen the picture of the
plastic insert, and I see that it has a protrusion into the keyway,
but I don't know why I couldn't make a delrin bushing and just leave
the keyway as a slot in the bushing. I"d use Loctite or some other
epoxy to hold the bushing in place. Maybe I'll understand better
once I have the motor pulley apart and can see what you're talking
about.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Do you realize that they have to be shaped in the exact certain way?
They are not round.

I"m not sure what you mean Iggy. I have seen the picture of the
plastic insert, and I see that it has a protrusion into the keyway,
but I don't know why I couldn't make a delrin bushing and just leave
the keyway as a slot in the bushing. I"d use Loctite or some other
epoxy to hold the bushing in place. Maybe I'll understand better
once I have the motor pulley apart and can see what you're talking
about.

I think that spending $28 is a complete no brainer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 23:09:54 -0600, Ignoramus21666

=======================

I"m not sure what you mean Iggy. I have seen the picture of the
plastic insert, and I see that it has a protrusion into the keyway,
but I don't know why I couldn't make a delrin bushing and just leave
the keyway as a slot in the bushing. I"d use Loctite or some other
epoxy to hold the bushing in place. Maybe I'll understand better
once I have the motor pulley apart and can see what you're talking
about.

=================

I think that spending $28 is a complete no brainer.

====================

Well, I got it apart this evening and I can see what you're talking
about. The keyway is part of the bushing, extending outward and the
key isn't as wide as the slot in the sheave. The $28 bushing looks
like the easy way out since parts are still available.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John:
True, Delrin is Dupont's product. Some varieties of Delrin contain
glass fibres and others don't. Prior to your doubtful message, I had
believed all Delrin varieties contained glass.
Also, an application note found while checking Delrin's specs
reccomended the glass filled version as a bearing. That might require some
testing before believing, though.
Anyway, I think I'll retract my warning.

Hul

John R. Carroll wrote:
wrote:
If I remember correctly, Delrin is acetal with short glass
fibers added, maybe to improve abrasion resistence. Pure acetal
might be a better choice.

Delrin is Dupont's trade name for Acetal.

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

Well, I got it apart this evening and I can see what you're talking
about. The keyway is part of the bushing, extending outward and the
key isn't as wide as the slot in the sheave. The $28 bushing looks
like the easy way out since parts are still available.

Just out of curiousity, was the old bushing white?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:39:14 -0500, Wes wrote:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

Well, I got it apart this evening and I can see what you're talking
about. The keyway is part of the bushing, extending outward and the
key isn't as wide as the slot in the sheave. The $28 bushing looks
like the easy way out since parts are still available.

Just out of curiousity, was the old bushing white?

Wes

Yup. It was the old white one and had split into two pieces. It's
been awhile since I read your Clausing page, but I think yours did
that too.

Did you keep a list of the seal numbers and bearing numbers when you
rebuilt the hydraulics on yours? If so, that would make it easier for
me to find those parts. Clausing no longer supports the round
hydraulic lower cylinder, so I'm on my own for finding the seals for
that.

I'm in the process of making an arbor for the motor pulley / hub. When
that's done, I'm going to try doing the coating with JB Weld and 15%
by volume of Molybdenum disulfide.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

Did you keep a list of the seal numbers and bearing numbers when you
rebuilt the hydraulics on yours? If so, that would make it easier for
me to find those parts. Clausing no longer supports the round
hydraulic lower cylinder, so I'm on my own for finding the seals for
that.

I ordered the seals from mcmasters except for one I had to get from applied technology.

I can't remember exactly what went where but here are the seals I ordered at the time.

Note, I used oring filled lip seals since I figured they might not leak as easily.

The small oring I both both o section and quad rings. I ended up using the quad rings.

Below is what I ordered back then. Obviously measure your parts to make sure my numbers
are appriopriate.

6540K165 Double-Seal Viton O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 010, Packs of 50
(Same as 6540K101)
$11.96 $11.96 today

9464K15 Viton O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 010, Packs of 100 (Same as
9464K342)
$6.45 $6.45 today

9505K22 O-Ring Loaded Square Profile Lip Seal 7/8" ID X 1-1/8" OD X 1/8"
Height X 1/8" Width (Same as 9505K21)
$3.27 $3.27 today

9505K21 O-Ring Loaded Square Profile Lip Seal Specify ID, OD, Ht:
ID:13/16, Outside Diameter:1-1/16, Height:1/8
--- --- 2 weeks

9505K15 O-Ring Loaded Square Profile Lip Seal 3/8" ID X 5/8" OD X
1/8" Height X 1/8" Width (Same as 9505K21)
$2.61 $5.22 today

9452K31 Buna-N O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 211, Packs of 100
(Same as 9452K342)
$4.32 $4.32 today

HTH,

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

I'm in the process of making an arbor for the motor pulley / hub. When
that's done, I'm going to try doing the coating with JB Weld and 15%
by volume of Molybdenum disulfide.

Let us know how that works out!

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-23, Wes wrote:
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

Did you keep a list of the seal numbers and bearing numbers when you
rebuilt the hydraulics on yours? If so, that would make it easier for
me to find those parts. Clausing no longer supports the round
hydraulic lower cylinder, so I'm on my own for finding the seals for
that.

I ordered the seals from mcmasters except for one I had to get from applied technology.

I can't remember exactly what went where but here are the seals I ordered at the time.

Note, I used oring filled lip seals since I figured they might not leak as easily.

The small oring I both both o section and quad rings. I ended up using the quad rings.

Below is what I ordered back then. Obviously measure your parts to make sure my numbers
are appriopriate.

Wes, I got you guys lost here, are those seals for the two cylinder
hydraulic system or for one cylinder?

Is that set of seals to cover all seals in the entire hydraulic
system?

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus21067 wrote:

Wes, I got you guys lost here, are those seals for the two cylinder
hydraulic system or for one cylinder?

Is that set of seals to cover all seals in the entire hydraulic
system?

This is for the one cylinder slave system. I'm not so sure how complete. I searched my
pdf file copies of prior mcmaster purchases near the time I rebuilt the drive.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 04:09:00 -0500, Wes wrote:

Below is what I ordered back then. Obviously measure your parts to make sure my numbers
are appriopriate.

6540K165 Double-Seal Viton O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 010, Packs of 50

9464K15 Viton O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 010, Packs of 100 (Same as

9505K22 O-Ring Loaded Square Profile Lip Seal 7/8" ID X 1-1/8" OD X 1/8"

9505K21 O-Ring Loaded Square Profile Lip Seal Specify ID, OD, Ht:
ID:13/16, Outside Diameter:1-1/16, Height:1/8

9505K15 O-Ring Loaded Square Profile Lip Seal 3/8" ID X 5/8" OD X
1/8" Height X 1/8" Width (Same as 9505K21)

9452K31 Buna-N O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 211, Packs of 100

Thanks Wes. I need to get the coating on the hub, then I'll turn my
attention to the seals. Where you had to buy packs of 50 and 100,
would you like to sell some of them?

How did you remove the bearing on the end of the hydraulic cylinder
without munging the brass fiting it sits on? I didn't try to remove
that bearing yet, but I think it would be wise to do so in order to
get the brass "plug" out and replace the single large o ring.

I probably need to replace the hose that goes from the master cylinder
to the slave. Better to order that from Clausing or is that a generic
that I can get cheaper from another source?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I'd put some in an envelope and give them to you if I knew where they went. I'll look for
them tomorrow but there is no guarantee I'll find them any time soon. My garage is full
of 'treasure' so full I'm still looking for the 6" 3 jaw chuck that came with the lathe.

While you are figuring out a coating solution, I'll keep any eye out for some of my spare
orings.

How did you remove the bearing on the end of the hydraulic cylinder
without munging the brass fiting it sits on? I didn't try to remove
that bearing yet, but I think it would be wise to do so in order to
get the brass "plug" out and replace the single large o ring.

I can't seem to remember at the moment. I searched though my digital photos to refresh my
memory. Didn't find anything. My Clausing manual shows a double cylinder slave and I
have the single cylinder slave.

I probably need to replace the hose that goes from the master cylinder
to the slave. Better to order that from Clausing or is that a generic
that I can get cheaper from another source?

Any decent hydraulic shop can make another one. I'm running the original. Looks a bit
shabby but doesn't leak.

Wes