Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default free CAD program?

I am looking for a simple free CAD program. I have Sketchup, but it does way
more than I want. I want a simple 2D CAD program, no fancy 3D views needed.
I had a copy of Windraft years ago that I liked, incase anyone is familiar
with it.

--
Greg O

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Greg O wrote:
I am looking for a simple free CAD program. I have Sketchup, but it does
way more than I want. I want a simple 2D CAD program, no fancy 3D views
needed. I had a copy of Windraft years ago that I liked, incase anyone
is familiar with it.

Google shows 2,060,000 hits for freeware cad software.

technomaNge
--
Due to anticipated high turnout in 2010's election,
the Electorial College has scheduled:

Nov. 1, 2010 All Independents vote.
Nov. 2, 2010 All Republicans vote.
Nov. 3, 2010 All Democrats vote.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 15, 8:18*pm, technomaNge wrote:
Greg O wrote:
I am looking for a simple free CAD program. I have Sketchup, but it does
way more than I want. I want a simple 2D CAD program, no fancy 3D views
needed. I had a copy of Windraft years ago that I liked, incase anyone
is familiar with it.

Google shows 2,060,000 hits for freeware cad software.

technomaNge
--
Due to anticipated high turnout in 2010's election,
the Electorial College has scheduled:

Nov. 1, 2010 All Independents vote.
Nov. 2, 2010 All Republicans vote.
Nov. 3, 2010 All Democrats vote.

I use GSIMPLE for a lot of things, and it even has soime CAM
capabilities.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"technomaNge" wrote in message
Greg O wrote:
I am looking for a simple free CAD program. I have Sketchup, but it does
way more than I want. I want a simple 2D CAD program, no fancy 3D views
needed. I had a copy of Windraft years ago that I liked, incase anyone is
familiar with it.

Google shows 2,060,000 hits for freeware cad software.

Thanks for the help, I really have trouble figuring out the conplexities of
Google. Now can you recommend one or two of the two million hits??
Greg O

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Greg O" writes:

I am looking for a simple free CAD program. I have Sketchup, but it
does way more than I want. I want a simple 2D CAD program, no fancy 3D
views needed. I had a copy of Windraft years ago that I liked, incase
anyone is familiar with it.

I've been using qcad for a few months now; seems to work really well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/15/2010 9:23 PM, Greg O wrote:
I am looking for a simple free CAD program. I have Sketchup, but it does
way more than I want. I want a simple 2D CAD program, no fancy 3D views
needed. I had a copy of Windraft years ago that I liked, incase anyone
is familiar with it.

Doublecad XT is a feeware AtuocadLT clone. If you are at all familiar
with LT, you will find this looks and acts almost identically. The
freeware version is no really crippled, and does not time out. Check it
out he

http://www.doublecad.com/Products/Do...0/Default.aspx
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Greg O wrote:

Thanks for the help, I really have trouble figuring out the conplexities
of Google. Now can you recommend one or two of the two million hits??
Greg O

No idea, closest I ever got to CAD was Envisioneer Express.

Got tired of playing with it and went to other interests.

technomaNge
--
Due to anticipated high turnout in 2010's election,
the Electorial College has scheduled:

Nov. 1, 2010 All Independents vote.
Nov. 2, 2010 All Republicans vote.
Nov. 3, 2010 All Democrats vote.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Greg O wrote:
I am looking for a simple free CAD program. I have Sketchup, but it does
way more than I want. I want a simple 2D CAD program, no fancy 3D views
needed. I had a copy of Windraft years ago that I liked, incase anyone is
familiar with it.

Google shows 2,060,000 hits for freeware cad software.

Thanks for the help, I really have trouble figuring out the conplexities of
Google. Now can you recommend one or two of the two million hits??

Well ... *I* could -- but you didn't bother to mention what OS
you are using (I'm presuming that you are still running some form of
Windows (especially since you mention "Windraft"0, as it seems to be
only Windows users who assume that *everybody* else also runs Windows. :-)

And the drawing programs which I would recommend are for
unix/linux systems, and may not run on Windows at all. They are
assuming the GUI will be run under X11, not Windows, and not Mac's GUI
either. (But Mac's OS does have a unix under it, and has an optional
X11 server loadable which will support the standard unix programs.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In , on 17 Feb 2010 03:13:29
On 2010-02-16, Greg O wrote:

Thanks for the help, I really have trouble figuring out the conplexities of
Google. Now can you recommend one or two of the two million hits??

Well ... *I* could -- but you didn't bother to mention what OS
you are using (I'm presuming that you are still running some form of
Windows (especially since you mention "Windraft"0, as it seems to be
only Windows users who assume that *everybody* else also runs Windows. :-)

D?N, you *really* need to do this:
Go to ~/.slrnrc and search for "visible_headers".
Just inside the closing quote, add this...
,X-Newsreader:,X-Mailer:,User-Agent:

Alternatively, just hit 't' when curious about
OS/newsreaders.

Or -- simply type "|less" to see the whole article no matter
what slrn decides to suppress. Lots of ways to find out.

Of *course* I can tell what they used to *post* -- but I don't
assume that anyone uses the same computer for everything that they do.

And it really makes sense for someone asking for software
suggestions to *say* what OS they are expecting to run it on.
Otherwise, the advice is likely to be wrong no matter how well
intentioned.

You won't have to guess which OS people are using, at
least to post, giving you a pretty good idea that they
probably use that OS for pretty much everything else
too.

I was going to suggest xfig, but knowing the OP was
a dozer, decided to keep it to myself. ;-)

:-)

That was one of my suggestions -- but a quick Google search says
that they would have to install Cygwin to be able to run it.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Greg O wrote:
[...]

Well, I do have a box running Ubuntu, how's that?
Greg O

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In , on Fri, 19 Feb
2010 15:36:32 -0600, Greg O, wrote:

Well, I do have a box running Ubuntu, how's that?

You could fire up synaptic and see what's there,
though I doubt a search on CAD would find xfig.
It's probably there under draw or vector or some such.
http://www.xfig.org/userman/

Then there's qcad, which was I think written for
Windows originally, but has been ported to 'nix? I
have it on my FreeBSD box, but none of the Linux ones.
It is in the synaptic listing on Debian though.

If those don't float your boat, there are a bunch
more you might google on (none of which I've tried):

alliance (for VLSI design)
brlcad (CSG - probably more than you need)
cadubi (ascii art)
chipmunk An electronic CAD system
electric electrical CAD system
fandango A python scripted 3D CAD application
FreeCAD A general purpose 3D CAD modeller
kicad Schematic and PCB editing software
leocad virtual LEGO bricks?
pythoncad An open-source CAD package built designed around Python
varkon A free CAD system and applications development tool
xtexcad Simple drawing program enforcing limited slopes and diameters
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-19, Greg O wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

And the drawing programs which I would recommend are for
unix/linux systems, and may not run on Windows at all. They are
assuming the GUI will be run under X11, not Windows, and not Mac's GUI
either. (But Mac's OS does have a unix under it, and has an optional
X11 server loadable which will support the standard unix programs.

Well, I do have a box running Ubuntu, how's that?
Greg O

O.K. For that, several options:

1) xfig (search "xfig linux" to find it). It may be already
in the list of pre-compiled packages for ubuntu.

Yes -- it is: -- see

http://packages.ubunut.com/hu/karmic/graphics/xfig-libs

It is more a drawing program than a CAD program, but it works
well, and I have used it for design drawings.

2) jDraft http://www.freedownloadsplace.com/Products/12045/jDraft
runs in the java interpreter, and might even work on Windows.

The only problem that I've encountered with it was on Sun's
Solaris, as it comes in a shell script wrapper which starts with
"#!/bin/sh" to execute the shell. But, it uses some features
which are present only in /bin/bash (GNU's superset of /bin/sh),
and which fail on the Sun Solaris, which has a real /bin/sh, and
separately a /bin/bash. Linux simply has /bin/sh as a symlink to
/bin/bash so it works fine there. All you need to do in that
case (with something with a real /bin/sh like Solaris) is to
edit the first line to read "#!/bin/bash" and everything works
fine.

3) "oscad" (It started with a different name, which turned out to
already be in use, and after a few false starts, finally settled
on "oscad". This one has to be compiled -- it comes in source
code.

Hmm ... I can't find the proper web page for that one, just some
other things which seem to have taken the name. It may have
died.

There are others, such as varkon, and brlcad which I have no
experience with.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I downloaded DoubleCAD and am playing around with it, so far, so good I will
keep the other recommendatios too, in case DoubleCAD does not work out.
Thanks all!
Greg O

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Greg O wrote:

I downloaded DoubleCAD and am playing around with it, so far, so good I
will keep the other recommendatios too, in case DoubleCAD does not work
out.
Thanks all!
Greg O

Ya get what you pay for, Greg.

Let us know how it works for you, huh?

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Greg O wrote:

I downloaded DoubleCAD and am playing around with it, so far, so good I
will keep the other recommendatios too, in case DoubleCAD does not work
out.
Thanks all!
Greg O

Ya get what you pay for, Greg.

Let us know how it works for you, huh?

--

Richard Lamb

So far so good. I was welding up a trailer hitch for my Harley this weekend
and for the life of me I could not get some angles to work. Fired up the
computer and let DoubleCAD do the thinking for me. I also bent up a 3/4 x
1-1/2 rectangular tube that had 8 bends in it. A "U" shaped piece with extra
jogs out on the legs. I ran that by the computer too, then cut out the pie
pieces and bent it out of one piece of stock. It fit the first time. I still
need to lay out a suspension for the one wheel trailer I am going to build,
probably tomorrow evening.
I like the feature on DoubleCAD where when you draw a line you can just type
in the angle and length you want. Beats the hell out of trying to drag the
line to the length and angle!
Greg O