Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pictures of sorted metals

They are somewhat annotated.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Metals/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus5865" wrote in message
news
They are somewhat annotated.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Metals/

Looks like a nice pile for your hobby.

Ten years ago, I was at an auction. When they got to the metal room, they
started on one box of cold rolled and nobody bid. So the auctioneer said,
how much for the whole lot? I was right in front and said $100. One other
guy bid 110 then I went $120. And it was done. The rest of the group got
****ED thinking we were bidding on the cold rolled. I had just bought over
10,000 pounds of various tool steels. Took two trips with my one ton truck.
I sold the H13 off for $1000 and one piece of P20 for $500 (mold plate)

Bet the auctioneer learned that all metal isn't just scrap metal.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 23:44:04 -0600, Ignoramus5865
wrote:

They are somewhat annotated.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Metals/

You didn't sort the beer into its own pile :-(

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

They are somewhat annotated.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Metals/

You didn't sort the beer into its own pile :-(

Iggy was putting a well understood scale of reference in the picture.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-14, Karl Townsend wrote:

"Ignoramus5865" wrote in message
news
They are somewhat annotated.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Metals/

Looks like a nice pile for your hobby.

Ten years ago, I was at an auction. When they got to the metal room, they
started on one box of cold rolled and nobody bid. So the auctioneer said,
how much for the whole lot? I was right in front and said $100. One other
guy bid 110 then I went $120. And it was done. The rest of the group got
****ED thinking we were bidding on the cold rolled. I had just bought over
10,000 pounds of various tool steels. Took two trips with my one ton truck.
I sold the H13 off for $1000 and one piece of P20 for $500 (mold plate)

Awesome. YOU SUCK!!!!

Bet the auctioneer learned that all metal isn't just scrap metal.

I bet he does not care.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 06:34:46 -0500, the renowned "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

"Ignoramus5865" wrote in message
news
They are somewhat annotated.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Metals/

Looks like a nice pile for your hobby.

Ten years ago, I was at an auction. When they got to the metal room, they
started on one box of cold rolled and nobody bid. So the auctioneer said,
how much for the whole lot? I was right in front and said $100. One other
guy bid 110 then I went $120. And it was done. The rest of the group got
****ED thinking we were bidding on the cold rolled. I had just bought over
10,000 pounds of various tool steels. Took two trips with my one ton truck.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LOL

I sold the H13 off for $1000 and one piece of P20 for $500 (mold plate)

Bet the auctioneer learned that all metal isn't just scrap metal.

Karl

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

They are somewhat annotated.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Metals/

You didn't sort the beer into its own pile :-(

Iggy was putting a well understood scale of reference in the picture.

Wes

A lot of my job pictures included a pack of cigarettes - drove my
immediate supervisor right up the wall, much to the amusement of his
supervisor who used to bum smokes from me.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

They are somewhat annotated.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Metals/

You didn't sort the beer into its own pile :-(

Iggy was putting a well understood scale of reference in the picture.

Wes

A lot of my job pictures included a pack of cigarettes - drove my
immediate supervisor right up the wall, much to the amusement of his
supervisor who used to bum smokes from me.

I think that including beer in pictures kind of brightens the mood of
most people. Beer is usually associated with fun and other pleasant
things. Plus a bottle of beer looks great if the picture is taken with
a powerful flash.

In addition, everyone knows how big is a bottle of beer, not so with
cigarettes any more.

The more politically correct scale item would be a Coke can, but I do
not like pop and so I choose beer, cans or bottles.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggi -

Need to get a paint pen and mark the bars as you know.

After time - one will forget.

Martin

Ignoramus5865 wrote:
They are somewhat annotated.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Metals/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-15, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
Iggi -

Need to get a paint pen and mark the bars as you know.

After time - one will forget.

Martin, I sorted them, but never marked any. If the bars had markings,
I would put them in the proper pile, the rest into the mystery metal
pile. That place was good at marking and most pieces were marked.

Martin

Ignoramus5865 wrote:
They are somewhat annotated.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Metals/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus16496" wrote in message

I think that including beer in pictures kind of brightens the mood of
most people. Beer is usually associated with fun and other pleasant
things. Plus a bottle of beer looks great if the picture is taken with
a powerful flash.

In addition, everyone knows how big is a bottle of beer, not so with
cigarettes any more.

The more politically correct scale item would be a Coke can, but I do
not like pop and so I choose beer, cans or bottles.

In my last two offices I had a picture of my wife with a 30-06 rifle and a
big dead deer she just shot on the wall in the waiting room. Boy did that
break ice and relax people. In 14 years here was only one complaint.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggi -

Ignoramus5865 wrote:
They are somewhat annotated.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Metals/

A spark test on a grinding wheel comparing the unknown with a known
piece of metal will usually give you a good idea of what it is.
Another test is to full harden a small piece by heating it until it
loses its magnetic attraction and dropping it into cold water. Then
test for how hard it is.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

They are somewhat annotated.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Metals/

You didn't sort the beer into its own pile :-(

Iggy was putting a well understood scale of reference in the picture.

Wes

A lot of my job pictures included a pack of cigarettes - drove my
immediate supervisor right up the wall, much to the amusement of his
supervisor who used to bum smokes from me.

I think that including beer in pictures kind of brightens the mood of
most people. Beer is usually associated with fun and other pleasant
things. Plus a bottle of beer looks great if the picture is taken with
a powerful flash.

In addition, everyone knows how big is a bottle of beer, not so with
cigarettes any more.

The more politically correct scale item would be a Coke can, but I do
not like pop and so I choose beer, cans or bottles.

A beer would not have looked good in pictures of construction projects
on an airport!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-14, Karl wrote:

lid wrote in message
news
They are somewhat annotated.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Metals/

Looks like a nice pile for your hobby.

Ten years ago, I was at an auction. When they got to the metal room, they
started on one box of cold rolled and nobody bid. So the auctioneer said,
how much for the whole lot? I was right in front and said $100. One other
guy bid 110 then I went $120. And it was done. The rest of the group got
****ED thinking we were bidding on the cold rolled. I had just bought over
10,000 pounds of various tool steels. Took two trips with my one ton truck.
I sold the H13 off for $1000 and one piece of P20 for $500 (mold plate)

Awesome. YOU SUCK!!!!

Bet the auctioneer learned that all metal isn't just scrap metal.

I bet he does not care.

I bought out the stockroom of a tool and die shop eight years ago that
had over 4 tons of marked tool steels. Most of it was Carpenter
Steel stamped with their special trade names, Badger, Vega,Speedstar,
Stentor. Solar,#158 and Hampden. I loaded it Carboloy and pallets and
the riggers moved it along with a bunch of machinery I bought at the
auction. My back was aching for a week. Most of it was 158 mold steel
in rounds up to 9 inches and some blocks up to 12 inch square. The rest
of it was in smaller rectangles and cutoffs. Metal usually goes cheap
if it is in large lots. The dealers don't want it because it doesn't
usually come with certifications and it is too much to handle for the
average home machinist.

I got the whole supply room for 200 bucks including the racks.

http://www.sousacorp.com/ts-xref1.htm

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-15, John wrote:
I bought out the stockroom of a tool and die shop eight years ago that
had over 4 tons of marked tool steels. Most of it was Carpenter
Steel stamped with their special trade names, Badger, Vega,Speedstar,
Stentor. Solar,#158 and Hampden. I loaded it Carboloy and pallets and
the riggers moved it along with a bunch of machinery I bought at the
auction. My back was aching for a week. Most of it was 158 mold steel
in rounds up to 9 inches and some blocks up to 12 inch square. The rest
of it was in smaller rectangles and cutoffs. Metal usually goes cheap
if it is in large lots. The dealers don't want it because it doesn't
usually come with certifications and it is too much to handle for the
average home machinist.

I got the whole supply room for 200 bucks including the racks.

Awesome. What did you do with that steel?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

They are somewhat annotated.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Metals/

You didn't sort the beer into its own pile :-(

Iggy was putting a well understood scale of reference in the picture.

Wes

A lot of my job pictures included a pack of cigarettes - drove my
immediate supervisor right up the wall, much to the amusement of his
supervisor who used to bum smokes from me.

I think that including beer in pictures kind of brightens the mood of
most people. Beer is usually associated with fun and other pleasant
things. Plus a bottle of beer looks great if the picture is taken with
a powerful flash.

In addition, everyone knows how big is a bottle of beer, not so with
cigarettes any more.

The more politically correct scale item would be a Coke can, but I do
not like pop and so I choose beer, cans or bottles.

Quite right too! ('T'was a wind-up, by the way

Regards
Mark Rand(who has over 1000lb of mild steel sections that were given away from
a University store)
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-15, wrote:
I bought out the stockroom of a tool and die shop eight years ago that
had over 4 tons of marked tool steels. Most of it was Carpenter
Steel stamped with their special trade names, Badger, Vega,Speedstar,
Stentor. Solar,#158 and Hampden. I loaded it Carboloy and pallets and
the riggers moved it along with a bunch of machinery I bought at the
auction. My back was aching for a week. Most of it was 158 mold steel
in rounds up to 9 inches and some blocks up to 12 inch square. The rest
of it was in smaller rectangles and cutoffs. Metal usually goes cheap
if it is in large lots. The dealers don't want it because it doesn't
usually come with certifications and it is too much to handle for the
average home machinist.

I got the whole supply room for 200 bucks including the racks.

Awesome. What did you do with that steel?

I have used up a lot of it over the years making repair parts for
machinery of my customers. The oil hard stuff I don't use much of
because of the problems with heat treating and quenching in oil. You
have to heat the oil to about 140 degrees or there is a chance of the
piece cracking at high stress areas like keyway cuts. The Carpenter 158
is a very tough steel and can be carborized to give it a high surface
hardness. This works great for pins and shafts where you need a good
wearing surface but also the toughness underneath the surface hardness.

Having a good selection of metal on hand saves a lot of time in doing
emergency repairs. I can make a replacement for a broken part and have
it done the same day. Ordering material takes at least a day and
sometimes more.

John