Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need recipe for moglice like material

Being cheap and having a need to build up the apron slide surfaces on my
Chinese lathe mill/drill because they were not machined correctly, I would
like to try something like Moglice. I have powdered bronze, teflon and moly
on hand as well as epoxy.

Any ideas?

Thanks, John.

Also cross posted on The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop
BBS/General

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-13, Machinist60 e_john_wilson.no.spam wrote:
Being cheap and having a need to build up the apron slide surfaces on my
Chinese lathe mill/drill because they were not machined correctly, I would
like to try something like Moglice. I have powdered bronze, teflon and moly
on hand as well as epoxy.

Any ideas?

Thanks, John.

Also cross posted on The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop
BBS/General

If you find out, PLEASE post the recipe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Machinist60" wrote in message
Being cheap and having a need to build up the apron slide surfaces on my
Chinese lathe mill/drill because they were not machined correctly, I would
like to try something like Moglice. I have powdered bronze, teflon and
moly on hand as well as epoxy.

Any ideas?

Thanks, John.

Also cross posted on The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop
BBS/General

Search around the Web on those names and you'll find lots of speculation,
experimentation, and so on.

If you're going to fool with Moglice or similar materials, you should see
their handbook:

http://www.moglice.com/handbookpdfs/handbook.pdf

There are different types of Moglice. Some contain steel fillers, others
contain aluminum. The speculation is that they contain large amounts of
molybdenum disulfide and/or graphite. Diamant (makers of Moglice) mentions
two materials -- Moglice and a competitor, SKC, and says they contain those
two lubricating materials. They don't say which is which, or if one or the
other contains both. I've never tried to find out.

Moglice 1000 contains some Teflon.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Ed, I've already checked that out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Being cheap and having a need to build up the apron slide surfaces on my
Chinese lathe mill/drill because they were not machined correctly, I would
like to try something like Moglice. I have powdered bronze, teflon and
moly on hand as well as epoxy.

Any ideas?

Thanks, John.

I"m going to rebuild the turcite lining on my Clausing lathe's
variable speed drive. I'm thinking of a trial of JB Weld with about
15% by volume of Molybdenum disulfied added. I suppose that if it
doesn't hold up, I'll machine off the JB Weld and do it over with
Moglice.

If you're reading this Iggy, how's the green turcite on your new
lathe? Are you going to have to rebuild variable speed drive?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-15, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane wrote:

Being cheap and having a need to build up the apron slide surfaces on my
Chinese lathe mill/drill because they were not machined correctly, I would
like to try something like Moglice. I have powdered bronze, teflon and
moly on hand as well as epoxy.

Any ideas?

Thanks, John.

I"m going to rebuild the turcite lining on my Clausing lathe's
variable speed drive. I'm thinking of a trial of JB Weld with about
15% by volume of Molybdenum disulfied added. I suppose that if it
doesn't hold up, I'll machine off the JB Weld and do it over with
Moglice.

If you're reading this Iggy, how's the green turcite on your new
lathe? Are you going to have to rebuild variable speed drive?

RWL, on my lathe the coating is BLACK, not green. FWIW. I would think
that it is powdered graphite, like this.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...?pid=3763&BASE

The coating is in decent condition, unlike the rest of the VS assembly
(busted keyway, busted rim to hold the bushing, etc).

I am thinking to do what Mike Henry did 9 years ago and just get the
whole new assembly and enjoy this lathe for the rest of my life. The
rest looks very good to me and it does seem to be accurate.