Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sometimes I wonder about Enco's marketing strategy.

Running low on Vactra #2. I begged a pop bottle's worth of it from work when I got my
machines. Figured I should pony up the bucks for my own galllon jug now.

Looked on McMaster and they have it. That will be plus freight.

Then I thought of enco and their magic promo codes for free shipping.

The last code I used was dead but I thought is there is a pattern to this one, PRSDEC, how
about PRSJAN? Well what do you know, it worked last night. Only takes 25 bucks to get
free shipping.

Need to add something I need. Ah, thread wires. That bumped the order up to 28.94. I
took my thread wires home from work when I got my lathe going. Sometimes I need to thread
something at work to fix a machine, that will be nice to have.

Getting home, I see they are shipping this to me in two packages via UPS. That has to be
insane. They could tape the thread wires to the jug of oil.

I really wonder how they stay in business. I'm sure we all have the free shipping 18x24
granite that can't ship cheap. I just wish the saw to length metal places had enco's
shipping deal.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Getting home, I see they are shipping this to me in two packages via UPS. That has to be
insane. They could tape the thread wires to the jug of oil.

I really wonder how they stay in business. I'm sure we all have the free shipping 18x24
granite that can't ship cheap. I just wish the saw to length metal places had enco's
shipping deal.

Companies like Enco get to cut huge deals for shipping.
I'll bet that UPS is the one just breaking even on
some of these free shipping deals.

I know Mcmaster-Carr had a remarkable side deal running
with UPS. I was in the SF bay area and would order
something from Mcmaster in L.A. I'd order it in the
afternoon, ground, and get it the next morning. I was
told that UPS would haul a presorted semi from Mcmaster's
dock in L.A. to the bay area distribution center and
have it on the trucks for delivery the next day.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote in
:

Wes wrote:

Getting home, I see they are shipping this to me in two packages via
UPS. That has to be insane. They could tape the thread wires to the
jug of oil.

I really wonder how they stay in business. I'm sure we all have the
free shipping 18x24 granite that can't ship cheap. I just wish the
saw to length metal places had enco's shipping deal.

Companies like Enco get to cut huge deals for shipping.
I'll bet that UPS is the one just breaking even on
some of these free shipping deals.

I know Mcmaster-Carr had a remarkable side deal running
with UPS. I was in the SF bay area and would order
something from Mcmaster in L.A. I'd order it in the
afternoon, ground, and get it the next morning. I was
told that UPS would haul a presorted semi from Mcmaster's
dock in L.A. to the bay area distribution center and
have it on the trucks for delivery the next day.

I live in the Boston area, and get one day delivery from MSC out of
Pennsylvania. Apparently UPS has a major shipping center IN the MSC
warehouse facility.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 1, 6:12*pm, Wes wrote:
[...]

Seems like a lot of things follow conservatives home from work.

Gunner has the same nasty problem.

Have you ever had some ethics come home with you?

Perhaps you could share some with Gunner.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
[...]

Enco has different warehouses around the country, two different items
may come from different warehouses.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 1, 10:50*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Feb 1, 6:12*pm, Wes wrote:

[...]

You seem to have a reading comprehension problem.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 1, 6:12?pm, Wes wrote:

[...]

How can guessing of the free shipping code be unethical?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 1, 6:12?pm, Wes wrote:

[...]

i- Hide quoted text -

It's the the shipping code that I am talking about.

It's the stuff that follows him home...from work.

The company's stuff.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 1, 6:12*pm, Wes wrote:
[...]

Enco/MSC is doing very well.

Everyone optimizes for their most expensive cost.

For Enco that cost is labor.

It is FAR CHEAPER for them to ship one item from multiple locations in
multiple boxes than to waste labor to combine the shipment.

Change their highest cost from labor to cardboard and you would see
their actions change with it.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

It's the stuff that follows him home...from work.

The company's stuff.

He may be a journeyman machinist, where he OWNS all his own tools.
He took ****HIS**** thread wires home, now he is finally getting around
to replacing HIS tool set at work. I'm just guessing, but a lot of
people work under this system.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Too_Many_Tools spewed libelous venom: (which is why this one is kill filed)

It's the stuff that follows him home...from work.

The company's stuff.

He may be a journeyman machinist, where he OWNS all his own tools.
He took ****HIS**** thread wires home, now he is finally getting around
to replacing HIS tool set at work. I'm just guessing, but a lot of
people work under this system.

Jon, you guessed it mostly right. I am a maintenance tech, I own my tools as most do.
Quite often I own two of everything. One for work, one for home.

I'll machine to repair a down machine, get an assembly cell going again, make a tool to
fix something, or make something my engineer wants done using what skill I have.

I wouldn't call myself a machinist though. I have too much respect for the real ones to
claim that. I'm just a jack of many trades. I know enough not to be dangerous.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 2, 2:59*pm, Jon Elson wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
It's the stuff that follows him home...from work.

The company's stuff.

He may be a journeyman machinist, where he OWNS all his own tools.
He took ****HIS**** thread wires home, now he is finally getting around
to replacing HIS tool set at work. *I'm just guessing, but a lot of
people work under this system.

Jon

So Jon...were you standing there when all this happened...you are THAT
sure?

In EVERY company I have been at, his description/excuse is the one HR
hears while waiting for the cops.

Anyone who has a brain DOES NOT BORROW from the company they work for.

It's a great way to be shown the door and get a criminal record.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 1, 6:12*pm, Wes wrote:

[...]

Dave- Hide quoted text -

Try rereading the post yourself again.

It's the company's stuff that is following him home.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 2, 11:50*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Anyone who has a brain DOES NOT BORROW from the company they work for.

It's a great way to be shown the door and get a criminal record.

TMT

Every company I have worked for has a procedure for borrowing company
stuff. Need a scope, get a property pass.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote:
Jim wrote in
:

Wes wrote:

[...]

MSC will ship a called in order out until 10pm and it will arrive the
next day if you are in the one day shipping area. It's 7pm if you order
it with red label shipping. The main terminal for UPS is right across
the street from MSC in Jonestown on rt 72 off of Inerstate 81. I can get
an order the same night up to 11pm if I want to run down there and meet
someone at the back door. UPS parks trailers at the ups dock and picks
them up at 10 PM.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Try rereading the post yourself again.

OK.

Running low on Vactra #2. I begged a pop bottle's worth of it
from work when I got my machines. Figured I should pony up the
bucks for my own galllon jug now.

Looks like he asked permission here.

Need to add something I need. Ah, thread wires. That bumped the
order up to 28.94. I took my thread wires home from work when
I got my lathe going. Sometimes I need to thread something at
work to fix a machine, that will be nice to have.

Looks like he brought his into work and took them home again, then
decided he needed a second pair at work. I have my own set at home and
at work.

It's the company's stuff that is following him home.

Where did he say that? I bet you're just projecting again, you think
everyone steals because you do.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-02, Doug White wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote in
:

[ ... ]

I know Mcmaster-Carr had a remarkable side deal running
with UPS. I was in the SF bay area and would order
something from Mcmaster in L.A. I'd order it in the
afternoon, ground, and get it the next morning. I was
told that UPS would haul a presorted semi from Mcmaster's
dock in L.A. to the bay area distribution center and
have it on the trucks for delivery the next day.

I live in the Boston area, and get one day delivery from MSC out of
Pennsylvania. Apparently UPS has a major shipping center IN the MSC
warehouse facility.

I get the same one day delivery from Harrisburg PA in the
Washington DC vicinity.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 15:50:36 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

Anyone who has a brain DOES NOT BORROW from the company they work for.

I not only borrow stuff from my employer, I lend stuff _to_ my employer. I
shouldn't have to, but it gets the job done.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anyone who has a brain DOES NOT BORROW from the company they work for.

I not only borrow stuff from my employer, I lend stuff _to_ my employer. I
shouldn't have to, but it gets the job done.

Mark Rand
RTFM

I never could figure out why dropping a borrowed tool on
a random surface was considered equivalent to handing
the tool back to me.

I purchased several tool pouches and filled each with a
selection of good quality screwdrivers, pliers,
dikes and other hand tools for the engineers.
Cost me several hundred dollars but it eliminated 'tool
borrowing' and 'tool retrieving' interruptions.

The engineers told me they loved their tool kits and kept
them ready at hand. I followed up with each engineer.
They were fascinatingly inventive with what tools and
supplies they added, how they were stored and what
changes they would have liked in the layout of the kit.

I never got around to borrowing stuff from my employer
but I'm sure it would have been perfectly acceptable.

--Winston

--
Support the blind and deaf. Hire a building contractor today!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I worked on a research project with four shift crews. Tools were
deposited wherever they were last used. This was in a very corrosive
environment (chlorine gas and HCl drips) so chances were they were
unusable in short order. I told the project manager I could fix it,
he said o.k. I got each crew an identical tool set and had the
carpenter shop build a set of four locking tool cabinets. I gave the
shift leaders responsibility for the keys and a monthly inventory for
any needed replacements. Basically, there weren't any. Each shift
jealously guarded "their" tools.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Need to add something I need. Ah, thread wires. That bumped the order up to 28.94. I
took my thread wires home from work when I got my lathe going. Sometimes I need to thread
something at work to fix a machine, that will be nice to have.

When I ordered them, the page indicated 2" long wires. I was pleasantly suprised to
recieve 3" long wires. Chinese in a plastic flip case, doesn't have the cachet of my
cased in leather Detroit Threadwire Co wires. Wonder when they went out of business.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller