Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 5 pound liquid/vapor propane tank

After much discussion in the AF1 Racing forums, a moderator has agreed
with me that the Aprilia SR50 is a good platform to test a new propane
configuration.

The throttle body / air neck will receive propane vapor during WOT
(Wide Open Throttle), top-speed operation. At lower ranges, either of
throttle or speed, the existing air/fuel injector will carry a
regulated vapor/liquid flow directly into the cylinder while all ports
are closed. We hope to preserve economy and obtain performance in this
way.

Is there a 5 pound propane bottle that can be fitted with a short
vapor dip tube and a long liquid dip tube, or a valve body that can be
installed into a standard 5 pound propane bottle?

Douglas (Dana) Goncz
Replikon Research
PO Box 4394
Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just thinking out loud, but the only place I've noticed dual valves/dip
tubes like that is on recovery cylinders for refrigerants, and the smallest
size I've noticed is 30 lb. Maybe you can adapt the valve to a smaller tank
size? As an example see ebay item 380193688232.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

"The Dougster" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 20:46:22 -0800 (PST), The Dougster
wrote:

[...]

You need a cheap and easy source of liquid delivery propane for
experimenting, go get yourself a 33-pound (7.5 gallon) forklift
horizontal propane cylinder. Has a special QC Liquid propane fitting,
and also a Vapor fitting available if you want to do other things with
it.

They make 14-pound and 20-pound forklift cylinders with liquid
outlets, but I never see them in the wild. The 14-pounder looks small
enough to mount on the package rack of a scooter fore-and-aft, 9"
diameter by 21" overall length. And it's certainly armored enough to
survive a wipeout.

www.mantank.com Manchester Tank, Lynwood CA (Los Angeles) They have
online PDF's of all their catalogs and spec sheets.

Then you need to buy the matching QC male fitting and high pressure
propane flex hose to go to your engine, and a clamp-down cradle (you
normally mount to the back of the forklift) to secure the bottle while
in use.

Once you get your design finalized, they make customs or custom mods
that you can build in. Easy enough to take one of the little 5-pound
camping size cylinders and install a dip-tube and liquid outlet valve.

Now you just have to find someplace to fill them - you need to have
several, because a lot of places have a 5-gallon minimum...

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

snip

Is there a 5 pound propane bottle that can be fitted with a short
vapor dip tube and a long liquid dip tube, or a valve body that can be
installed into a standard 5 pound propane bottle?

Douglas (Dana) Goncz
Replikon Research
PO Box 4394
Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394

Hot air baloonists have both liquid and gas fittings on their bottles, ut 5
pounds wouldn't even get them off the ground