Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wood splitting smile

After ice storm 1991, a couple friends of mine put in a wood
burning stove. There was another storm, a micro burst that
blew down a lot of trees. Can't remember what year. But, I
hate to see good wood go to the landfill. I borrowed a
trailer to pull behind the van, and collected up some good
wood. We spent several days sawing.

About that time, he remarked that all we needed now was a
splitter. Hmm. See how that goes. As I took the borrowed
trailer back to John's, he was at the bus garage, at his
church. I remarked thank you for the use of the trailer, and
now all I need is a splitter. A voice on the other side of
the bus said "I've got a splitter". Without much thought, I
asked if I might borrow it for a couple days, and the voice
said yes. To my surprise. So, I got his adress, and went
there.

He showed me how the splitter worked. It was very under
powered. When I got back to my place, I pulled the engine
apart, and cleaned the valves. [Metal valves: the metal
content of the story.] Put in a new spark plug, and new
gasoline. Change the oil. Ran a lot better, then. More
power. And so I spent a couple days splitting wood.

Anyhow, as I was taking the splitter back. I stopped at
John's garage, and asked if he had anythign to split, while
I had the machine. Sure, had some gnarly walnut with the
grain all twisted. I put a couple of them on the machine. It
struggled a lot, 5 HP gas engine. Even the more power gas
engine was straining. But it got the job done.

John told me the rest of the story later. After he sawed up
the wood, his friend Corey stopped by. Corey was 19 or so,a
nd a very powerful teenager. Sports, and such. So, John
asked him to split up that wood out back. Corey whacked on
it for a while, and quit. Which is a good use of teenage
energy.

So, next week when Corey came back, John tells him "Oh,
Chris Young stopped by, and split all that wood." Corey
knows I'm twice his age, and the inverse square of his
athletic power. I'm sure Corey had a few choice words of
disbelief about Chris being able to split the wood. Went out
and looked, and came back kind of confused. I'm sure
eventually John told him that I'd used a gasoline power
splitter.

That's my smile for the day. A good memory.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I got another one from just yesterday. I invited Eli, 13, to go fishing.
When we got to the dock, I said,"Let me tie you up" He said, "No, I know how
to fish. Don't need your help." OK

Well when we got out there to the honey hole, we were just a bangin' the
mangrove snapper. Not the baby boy groves either, MANgroves. Well, I'd get
one, Lenny would get, Dave would get one. Then Eli would pull up a grunt.
And we'd go around again. Then Lenny started picking on Eli, "Man, you're a
good bait fisherman".

After about an hour of this, Eli says" OK, what are you doing, show me how"

I actually taught a kid to listen.

He was a bangin' them with the best of us by the end of the day. I'm sure he
won't mention it when he spanks my ass in a couple yearsVBG

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 03:37:54 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

[...]

A few years back, second son had a tree blow down in the yard of the
house he was renting. He came and got out his chain saw from my shed
and, after I got it running cut up part of the tree. He left the saw
in his pickup overnight and guess what was missing in the morning.
Anyhow, I found a saw for $3.00 as a parts machine and spent another
$2.00 to get it running. I paid $0.25 for a splitting wedge and after
an hour grinding the mushroom off, I set him up in the wood business
with the saw, the wedge and a ten pound sledge hammer I got for $2.00
at an estate sale. (lots of metal in this)
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Wood Splitting Erik[_5_] Metalworking 17 November 16th 09 05:24 PM
splitting wood [email protected] Woodworking 6 February 4th 08 04:09 AM
Splitting Wood Tootie Preston Woodworking 4 April 10th 06 03:08 AM
Newbie splitting wood question UK Capt T Woodturning 8 March 7th 06 12:22 AM
Goblet and Splitting Wood Greg G. Woodturning 11 March 7th 05 07:16 AM