Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Decimal to Drill Size Conversion - now with RPM calculation

Hi all -

Thanks to more feedback from a couple of newsgroup regulars we updated
the decimal to fraction converter yet again to make the display a bit
more intuitive and useful in the shop.

In addition to showing the next larger fractional, letter/number and
metric size drill bits corresponding to a decimal value input, plus the
next two larger and smaller drills - and the clearance, it now also
displays target RPM for a particular drill size,

It defaults to 60 SFPM (a good start for mild steel) and you can tweak
the value depending on the material being cut or drilled.

The executable is compressed in "Fractions.zip" and downloadable from
http://www.carlafongphotography.com/utilities/ Shareware, so if it is
helpful to you, send us a couple of bucks.

Eventually I should upload it to the dropbox, but as long as I'm
updating occasionally it seems best to keep it on my site.

Still Windows only... additional comments appreciated.

Help yourselves!

Carla

If you were a normal human sitting at home having a beer and watching
national politics peripherally, as normal people do until they focus on
an election, chances are pretty good you came to see the two major
parties not as the Dems versus the Reps, or the blue versus the red, but
as the Nuts versus the Creeps. The Nuts were for high spending and
taxing and the expansion of government no matter what. The Creeps were
hypocrites who talked one thing and did another, who went along on the
spending spree while lecturing on fiscal solvency. ~ Peggy Noonan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carla,
Thank you for your effort, but I just cannot understand the requirement, as every drill index box I have seen has the decimal size
stamped into the box for every drill. In addition, there are a multitude of available wall charts that display conversions and tap
sizes. Furthermore the "Machinery Handbook" which every machinist should own, has all the info you could ever want.
Steve

"Carla Fong" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carla Fong wrote:
Hi all -

Thanks to more feedback from a couple of newsgroup regulars we updated
the decimal to fraction converter yet again to make the display a bit
more intuitive and useful in the shop.

Cool!

You can overwrite the RPM and get a SFM number, as well.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:47:30 -0800, Carla Fong
wrote:

[...]

Only big problem I can find with it..is that it only goes up to .975ish
in drill size.

Would be better up to about 3"

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 08:38:40 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Carla,
Thank you for your effort, but I just cannot understand the requirement, as every drill index box I have seen has the decimal size
stamped into the box for every drill. In addition, there are a multitude of available wall charts that display conversions and tap
sizes. Furthermore the "Machinery Handbook" which every machinist should own, has all the info you could ever want.
Steve

I keep an old laptop out in the shop with various utilities such as this
on it. Ill be using this one, particularly on the milling machine, and
see how it goes.

Only problem I can see..is its only good for drills under .975ish as I
remember.

Works good. Good RPM and SFM outputs

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Lusardi wrote:

Carla,
Thank you for your effort, but I just cannot understand the requirement,
as every drill index box I have seen has the decimal size stamped into
the box for every drill. In addition, there are a multitude of available
wall charts that display conversions and tap sizes. Furthermore the
"Machinery Handbook" which every machinist should own, has all the info
you could ever want.
Steve

Steve, I can't argue with that, and I have that same set of resources
available.

What this program does is let you measure a part with your caliper or
micrometer, enter that value and immediately get the nearest larger and
smaller fractional, metric and letter/number drill information. You also
get the clearance or interference value for each drill size indicated.

It's actually faster than looking at the wall chart, and errors of
interpolation between printed values on the chart are a thing of the
past. It's definitely faster than thumbing through the Machinery
Handbook to find the appropriate chart, then reading the mouse type.

It's just a handy utility, not the next 'killer application'

Carla

"In explaining any puzzling government phenomenon, always choose
stupidity over conspiracy, incompetence over cunning. Anything else
gives them too much credit." Charles Krauthammer
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 03:03:34 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Only problem I can see..is its only good for drills under .975ish as I
remember.

Slide the decimal point around as needed.

3.0 inch @ 100 ft/min = .30 inch @ 10.0 ft/min

--
Ned Simmons