Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
KG KG is offline

Default Any good metal finishing news groups?

I have an old steel tire rim that will be sandblasted clean and I need suggestions as to the best
finish to protect it long term. It is going in the trunk, boot, of a 77 Mini Cooper S show car,
which is seldom driven and always stored inside. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
*****************
Thank You

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Never ever underestimate the incompetent.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:23:11 -0500, KG wrote:

I have an old steel tire rim that will be sandblasted clean and I need suggestions as to the best
finish to protect it long term. It is going in the trunk, boot, of a 77 Mini Cooper S show car,
which is seldom driven and always stored inside. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
*****************
Thank You

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Never ever underestimate the incompetent.

=========
Powder coat seems to work well.
http://www.finishing.com/Library/pennisi/powder.html

Check for local vendors, but FYI here are some URLs
http://www.custompowdercoating.com/
http://www.renupowdercoating.com/
http://www.olympicpowdercoating.com/

Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:59:18 -0800, Gunner Asch wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:23:11 -0500, KG wrote:

I have an old steel tire rim that will be sandblasted clean and I need suggestions as to the best
finish to protect it long term. It is going in the trunk, boot, of a 77 Mini Cooper S show car,
which is seldom driven and always stored inside. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
*****************
Thank You

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Never ever underestimate the incompetent.

hard chrome, black.

Gunner

Prototypical finish would be a single coat of black, brown or aluminium paint
as appropriate. No primer, no filler :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 23:56:34 +0000, Mark Rand
wrote:

[...]

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for
existence.
- It is NOT fiscally responsible.
- It is NOT ethically honorable.
- It has started wars based on lies.
- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.
- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.
- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.
- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.
- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

....It no longer has valid reasons to exist.
Lorad474

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:23:11 -0500, the infamous KG
scrawled the following:

I have an old steel tire rim that will be sandblasted clean and I need suggestions as to the best
finish to protect it long term. It is going in the trunk, boot, of a 77 Mini Cooper S show car,
which is seldom driven and always stored inside. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Paste wax and a tire?

--
We either make ourselves happy or miserable.
The amount of work is the same.