Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Live center point grinding

I had a MT 4 live center with a somewhat damaged CNC type point.
Yesterday as I had the dumore tool post grinder on the lathe anyway,
(making a R8 to Kwick Switch 200 adapter for my Old Hurco), I thought
I'd try regrinding the point in situ. (I hate using the tool post
grinder as I'm paranoid about the grit on the lathe) Anyway, I
noticed the tip had a short non tapered area just in front of the
bearing housing. I took a large "O" ring and looped it over the
center and over a hand drill chuck's OD to rotate the center point
while grinding. Worked very nicely. Probably a million other ways to
do this but it worked for me and cost nothing. Used a wet bath towel
over the ways and this seemed to catch a lot of the grit from the
grinder...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"oldjag" wrote in message
I had a MT 4 live center with a somewhat damaged CNC type point.
Yesterday as I had the dumore tool post grinder on the lathe anyway,
(making a R8 to Kwick Switch 200 adapter for my Old Hurco), I thought
I'd try regrinding the point in situ. (I hate using the tool post
grinder as I'm paranoid about the grit on the lathe) Anyway, I
noticed the tip had a short non tapered area just in front of the
bearing housing. I took a large "O" ring and looped it over the
center and over a hand drill chuck's OD to rotate the center point
while grinding. Worked very nicely. Probably a million other ways to
do this but it worked for me and cost nothing. Used a wet bath towel
over the ways and this seemed to catch a lot of the grit from the
grinder...

I use aluminum foil sprayed heavily with WD-40. I used oiled newspaper in
the past, held in place with tape, but the foil works better.

Like you, I'm really paranoid about it.

--
Ed Huntress

Grinding disc with depressed center? MiamiCuse Home Repair 14 March 27th 08 03:22 AM
live center? Gary & Karen Woodturning 7 March 1st 07 12:47 AM
Live center, CNC point Wayne Metalworking 11 January 26th 05 03:29 PM
Dead center/live center lathe question R.H. Woodworking 10 October 18th 04 07:32 PM