Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where to find springy metal strips?

I have a project that requires a few strips of springy metal about half inch
wide by 12 inch long.

The same black metal used to make metal binder clips would be perfect:
http://www.crestock.com/images/73000.../735610-xs.jpg

Any idea where to buy such material?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

james wrote:
I have a project that requires a few strips of springy metal about half
inch wide by 12 inch long.

The same black metal used to make metal binder clips would be perfect:
http://www.crestock.com/images/73000.../735610-xs.jpg

Any idea where to buy such material?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#blue-spring-steel/=5er5a1

-- Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

james writes:

Any idea where to buy such material?

Pallet strapping. Gotta be in a hundred dumpsters in your area, or
uline.com if you must buy it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Richard J Kinch wrote:
james writes:

Any idea where to buy such material?

Pallet strapping. Gotta be in a hundred dumpsters in your area, or
uline.com if you must buy it.

I'll second that -- that's exactly what I used when faced with a similar need
recently.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 22:42:13 -0800, "james" wrote:

I have a project that requires a few strips of springy metal about half inch
wide by 12 inch long.

The same black metal used to make metal binder clips would be perfect:
http://www.crestock.com/images/73000.../735610-xs.jpg

Any idea where to buy such material?

Feeler gauge stock is .001 thru .125 thick, 1/2" wide, and comes in
12" lengths and long rolls. See McMaster p.2273

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 16, 10:42*pm, "james" wrote:
I have a project that requires a few strips of springy metal about half inch
wide by 12 inch long.

There's meters of such metal inside every brokedown tape
measure (of the spring-rewind type).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 12:20:43 -0800 (PST), the renowned whit3rd
wrote:

On Jan 16, 10:42*pm, "james" wrote:
I have a project that requires a few strips of springy metal about half inch
wide by 12 inch long.

There's meters of such metal inside every brokedown tape
measure (of the spring-rewind type).

a.k.a. "negator spring"

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany