Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default South Bend 1308 geared head lathe

I ran across a SB Model 1308 geared head lathe for sale. I don't have
a list of the tooling that comes with it yet and I don't know
condition. It apparently is a rare bird from the little I can gather
on the web and may be a copy of a Harrison lathe from Australia. Is
anybody familiar with this model? What's a range of prices for this
model?

RWL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

These were made in Taiwan for SB. I have one. They have some issues, but I bought mine for $700. It had fallen off a forklift on
to its face and was severely damaged. It took me more than a year to get parts and another year to do the repairs. They are very
good for a hobby machine, but not my first choice in that size range. Price will very much depend on its condition. Leave it alone
if you need spares. Its big advantage over other mainland Chinese machines is the 12 speed spindle, as opposed to the typical 9
speed. These extra speeds provide speeds below 100 RPM, very useful. Another feature on mine is the taper attachment, as it uses a
differential crossfeed screw, which is a feature of much more expensive lathes.
Steve

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote in message ...
I ran across a SB Model 1308 geared head lathe for sale. I don't have
a list of the tooling that comes with it yet and I don't know
condition. It apparently is a rare bird from the little I can gather
on the web and may be a copy of a Harrison lathe from Australia. Is
anybody familiar with this model? What's a range of prices for this
model?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Practical Machinist is sounded like parts are pretty hard to come
by. I don't know of any major problems with this machine, but where
are parts available for the 1308s? Is there any other machine whose
parts are interchangeable?

RWL

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 06:05:04 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

[...]

FS: South Bend 400 lathe Danny Lester Metalworking 0 January 1st 06 09:55 PM
13" South Bend lathe value Steve Peterson Metalworking 15 August 19th 05 01:16 AM
South Bend Lathe Don Metalworking 4 March 25th 05 11:36 PM
south bend 10L lathe Cuezilla Metalworking 3 August 1st 03 03:15 AM