Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A few more pictures of the Larios as it goes back together

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/Larios#

Final paint tommorow..all the trim work, then set all the covers and
finish the electrical.

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 18:13:54 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Gunner,
What do you use to do the derusting? Why wouldn't you clean up the rust BEFORE you paint?
Steve

I used a wire wheel and a phosphoric acid liquid to "kill" any remaining
rust that I couldnt get.

Using a good tough wire wheel to get off any flaking paint and thick
rust. and then the rust killer does a pretty good job,.and means I dont
have to dig deep and then putty the gouges back up before painting

After wire wheeling, I used mineral spirts to get any dust and oils and
grease, then brushed on a coat of the phosphoric acid solution, waited
an hour..then was ready to paint.

Gunner

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 07:34:38 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

I think you may have misunderstood the question or I misunderstood your answer. I meant the machined surfaces not the paint prep.
Steve

Oh! It was only a light surface rust and I did clean it up before
painting. Are you concerned that its dark colored? Thats the result of
the phosphoric acid making the rust turn almost a black color. Which
was then wire brushed, and then treated with the acid again. Im not a
fan of Shiney..so left the last treatment of acid turn the steel black.
The phosphoric acid is part of the treatment for Parkerizing as well as
other metal treatings.

The last thing I want is a "shiney bright silver" table on any mill.
Shrug..just a personal choice...chuckle..and it hides future stains and
light rust better G

Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I think you may have misunderstood the question or I misunderstood your answer. I meant the machined surfaces not the paint prep.
Steve

Oh! It was only a light surface rust and I did clean it up before
painting. Are you concerned that its dark colored? Thats the result of
the phosphoric acid making the rust turn almost a black color. Which
was then wire brushed, and then treated with the acid again. Im not a
fan of Shiney..so left the last treatment of acid turn the steel black.
The phosphoric acid is part of the treatment for Parkerizing as well as
other metal treatings.

The last thing I want is a "shiney bright silver" table on any mill.
Shrug..just a personal choice...chuckle..and it hides future stains and
light rust better G

Gunner

I used Oxpho-Blue on the ways of my Atlas 618 for much the same effect.

David