Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R.Birch David R.Birch is offline

Default A few more pictures of the Larios as it goes back together

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 07:34:38 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

I think you may have misunderstood the question or I misunderstood your answer. I meant the machined surfaces not the paint prep.
Steve

Oh! It was only a light surface rust and I did clean it up before
painting. Are you concerned that its dark colored? Thats the result of
the phosphoric acid making the rust turn almost a black color. Which
was then wire brushed, and then treated with the acid again. Im not a
fan of Shiney..so left the last treatment of acid turn the steel black.
The phosphoric acid is part of the treatment for Parkerizing as well as
other metal treatings.

The last thing I want is a "shiney bright silver" table on any mill.
Shrug..just a personal choice...chuckle..and it hides future stains and
light rust better G

Gunner

I used Oxpho-Blue on the ways of my Atlas 618 for much the same effect.

David