Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cheap chinese data output jacks...

Finally did something about my intermittent scale data port on my
chinese digital scales. Straightened out the "spring" contacts on the
scale plug, tinned them, and then soldered them directly to the PCB traces.

Damn cheap design. Been so long since I bought 'em, I misplaced the
extra data cables... Have to order a few more.

Have soldering iron, will travel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:
Finally did something about my intermittent scale data port on my
chinese digital scales. Straightened out the "spring" contacts on the
scale plug, tinned them, and then soldered them directly to the PCB traces.

Damn cheap design. Been so long since I bought 'em, I misplaced the
extra data cables... Have to order a few more.

Have soldering iron, will travel.

After fruitless hours of surfing for the original cables (not for $12
each!), I finally whipped out an RJ-11 surface mount telephone jack with
screw terminals. Pulled out some solid wire telephone cable (solid wire
solders is stronger) and soldered the wires to the PCB traces. Damn eyes
make it hard at times.

Now I can use a cheap telephone cable, RJ-11 to RJ-11. The only gotcha
is if it's wired cross-over or straight through. Now to surf for the
pin-outs on Shumatech or wherever. Already have one scale wired and
working. Oh, for a hot glue gun to fill the cavity left from the
original plug and finish things up.

Next is to figure out a quill mount for my X3 so I have Z axis as well.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:
[...]

There's illustrations on the Shumatech website . Two outside pads are
gonna be power , you can figger out which is which with a VM . Clock and
data on the two inside pads ... and as soon as you're done soldering , tie
them wires down for strain relief or you're gonna be redoing them . DAMHIKT

Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"
'39 WLDD "PopCycle"
BS 132/SENS/DOF