Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My dumb question of the week

"Steve B" wrote in message
How does a circle roller make a true circle, and keep from making a
slightly spiraled finished loop? I think I'm gonna get a cheap one from
HF for some light work. Other suggestions?

Steve

As long as the metal is fed in straight, it rolls a straight circle. Rod
seems to spiral no matter what, but is easy to take the spiral out as you
roll it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
How does a circle roller make a true circle, and keep from making a slightly
spiraled finished loop? I think I'm gonna get a cheap one from HF for some
light work. Other suggestions?

Steve

Takes 4 things to make a circle roller work well.

For flat and square stock:
The rollers have to be parallel.
Material MUST be fed exactly at a 90 degree angle to the rollers. ANY
angle and you get a spiral.
Material feed rate has to be steady.
Material itself must be dimensionally accurate. Stock that is tapered,
uneven, directionally stressed will cause problems.

Get any of them wrong and you get a spiral.

For round stock.
All bets are off... Mainly due to internal stress in the stock. Plus the
inability to keep the stock in the same plane as you feed it, it likes
to twist as you run it through the rolls.
However with round stock it isn't hard to straighten up the loop.

--
Steve W.

Dumb question? LBledsoe Woodturning 5 April 2nd 09 04:27 PM
a relatively dumb question i'm sure... unclescrooge Woodworking 32 July 4th 08 02:41 PM
Dumb idea of the week David WE Roberts UK diy 13 May 10th 08 05:25 PM
Dumb question? [email protected] Home Repair 8 August 29th 07 02:03 AM
dumb question...from the new kid intuitiveart Woodworking 10 December 6th 06 12:48 PM