Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default German Motor (EML) motor wiring help Please!

Im getting ready to install new wiring and controls on my Larios
horizontal mill..and have run into a brain fart.

I should know the answer to this...blush..that stroke I had earlier in
the year wiped out bits and pieces..and this one is gone..damnit

Ive got (2) 3 wire leads coming off the EML motor (no diagram..nada) to
whats left of the control switch..a busted mess.

The labling shows high and low speeds on that particular switch.

What I need to know..is how the damned thing is supposed to work.

Is one set of leads high..and the other low..or does one hook BOTH
together for high (as many american motors do) and just run one for low?

Or is there even more ways to do this?

Sigh..this is a bit embaressing...but..can anyone give me an idea, or
how to check it?

Id rather not blow up the motor farting around. If I had more motors
that would fit..Id simply hook up a VFD and say **** on it..but...I
dont.

Thanks in advance

I can provide pictures if need be.
Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

snipped
Ive got (2) 3 wire leads coming off the EML motor (no diagram..nada) to
whats left of the control switch..a busted mess.

The labling shows high and low speeds on that particular switch.

What I need to know..is how the damned thing is supposed to work.

Is one set of leads high..and the other low..or does one hook BOTH
together for high (as many american motors do) and just run one for low?

Or is there even more ways to do this?

This might help.

http://www.joliettech.com/3ph_motors...le_winding.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 00:30:44 GMT, Charles U Farley
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

snipped
Ive got (2) 3 wire leads coming off the EML motor (no diagram..nada) to
whats left of the control switch..a busted mess.

The labling shows high and low speeds on that particular switch.

What I need to know..is how the damned thing is supposed to work.

Is one set of leads high..and the other low..or does one hook BOTH
together for high (as many american motors do) and just run one for low?

Or is there even more ways to do this?

This might help.

http://www.joliettech.com/3ph_motors...le_winding.htm

Thanks!

I tried power on 1u/1v/1w with the 2s open..and it just hummed
Power on 2u/2v/2w with the1s open, and it ran in high speed

I joined the ones with the 2s and powered it up...and it ran
slower..but hummed and the wiring started getting warm. Im pretty sure
they are all aligned correctly.

what am I missing? I didnt think to power the ones and short the
2s..Ill try that later today.

If I have to..Ill simply run it in High. Got plenty of range..the
table feed has its own gearbox and motor, with about 10 speeds of its
own, selected on the side of the table. I think it goes from 8 1/2" IPM
down to 7/32 IPM in High. The Low scale goes from half that..from 4 1/4
IPM to 3/8 IPM

I think the slowest spindle speed in high is 45 rpm. I do have a Allen
Bradley "Power Flex" 2hp VFD..I suppose I could use
that...hummm.....Not sure what the motor HP is though..isnt all that
big..and if it has dual windings...cant be big hp. But I really hate
using a VFD for just running the motor..and not sure if it will run
with enough torque in whatever the RPM is supposed to be for Low.

Simply program it for two speeds, with a RF/Off/LF switch and a second
switch for High/Low. That table feed/in/out/right/left/up/down motor
would be nice with a second VFD on it..and a simple RF/OFF/LF switch.

Or I could..could simply put on three drum switches...yuck..be ugly as
sin..plus a coolant switch for the pump. And of course....chuckle..a
big swivel lamp.

There is a mechanical Feed/Rapid Reverse lever on the side of the
table... Press it down..and the up/down, right/left, in/out goes
slow..table feed moves at whatever the feed is set..all others at half
that. Pull up..and everything rapids the opposite direction. Made the
mistake of leaving all the levers engaged at the same time..and it was
wierd watching the table return to the right, move in towards the mill
body and the entire column lift up all at the same time..all at fairly
rapid feed rates..and the more I pulled up..,the faster it all went.

Interesting set of controls. Actually makes a great deal of sense, with
adjustable mechanical limit stops on all axis...but its going to take a
bit of getting used to.

Fired it up and one of the two belts busted and flew out..but that wasnt
unexpected..they were pretty bad and dry. Been a long time since that
mill was powered up.

Think I should dump the oil from the gear boxes and refill with new?
Might take a gallon or more to refill the bugger.

And Im gonna have to hunt down my European oiler..lots and lots of
European ball detent lube points. I can get some oil into them with an
oil can..but I think they should be "power" lubed a few times at least.

I opened the cabinet where I keep the Spare stuff..found 4 different
sized arbors, filled with spacers, 2 arbor supports. standard and
intermediate, all the stuff for the Vertical Spindle adapter..looks like
B&S #9...shrug...the Universal Indexer..can be powered off the table
drive and all 4 indexing plates..bunch of other stuff that Ive not ID'd
yet.

I think I was lucky enough to have gotten every accessory ever made for
this mill. Damned lucky!!! Id forgotton how much Stuff Id gotten with
it.

Now all I got to do is paint it..figure out how to power the ******* and
put it to use. Picked up a bunch of masking tape at the 99c store
yesterday..so can mask off everything that doesn get painted and voila!!

Oh..gotta get the wet/dry vac and clean out the oil sump...brrr...pretty
nasty in there....brrrrr. And test the coolant pump. Got plenty of
cutting oil though.. probably 25 gallons of it.

More photos tommorow.

Help wiring an AC motor Graeme UK diy 14 January 2nd 09 12:09 PM
Motor wiring help [email protected] Metalworking 12 September 28th 07 04:37 PM
help with rf-31 motor wiring Mr. Bla Metalworking 0 May 8th 06 12:49 PM
Motor Wiring Help Please! PatD Electronics Repair 11 February 20th 06 09:49 PM
Motor Wiring Help Please PatD Electronics Repair 4 February 14th 06 06:59 AM