Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default California fell off into the ocean - film at 11

Well?
Anybody there still there?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6038531.shtml
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:

Well?
Anybody there still there?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6038531.shtml

Well I see a couple guys near Gilroy, CA still attached to my IRC server. I think the
left coast is still intact.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

well, falling into the ocean must explain why it is so damp outside.

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Well?
Anybody there still there?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6038531.shtml

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 21:53:30 -0500, Wes wrote:

cavelamb wrote:

Well?
Anybody there still there?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6038531.shtml

Well I see a couple guys near Gilroy, CA still attached to my IRC server. I think the
left coast is still intact.

Wes

Tethered by a couple of bits of fibre :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:

Well?
Anybody there still there?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6038531.shtml

Well I see a couple guys near Gilroy, CA still attached to my IRC server.
I think the
left coast is still intact.

Wes

Tethered by a couple of bits of fibre :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

5.8. Damage, but not bad. 1980 close by 5.8 cost me about $5k for a
cracked swimming pool. Greenville Fault.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Well?
Anybody there still there?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6038531.shtml

Felt pretty strong here in Yuma. I actually got up and walked outside.
When I checked USGS it said 5.9. Actually felt like a light quake, then a
heavier quake, and then some very light aftershocks. Lasted quite a while
as local quakes go.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:30:28 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

Well?
Anybody there still there?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6038531.shtml

Never made it to my place, 140 miles north of LA..but on the other side
of a rather large mountain range.

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
SNIP
Never made it to my place, 140 miles north of LA..but on the other side
of a rather large mountain range.

Gunner

Never made it here either.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:
Well?
Anybody there still there?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6038531.shtml

Heh. You call that a quake?

--Winston -- Loma Prieta was a quake.

--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the Year!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 23:13:27 -0800, Winston
wrote:

cavelamb wrote:
Well?
Anybody there still there?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6038531.shtml

Heh. You call that a quake?

--Winston -- Loma Prieta was a quake.

****...Coalinga was a QUAKE

Gunner, who lost his house in the Coalinga California quake

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that cavelamb on or about
Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:30:28 -0600 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Well?
Anybody there still there?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6038531.shtml

Dang! Still waiting to hear back on how that impacted the tunnels
under the boarder. Back to the drawing board.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 02:49:44 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Let the Record show that cavelamb on or about
Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:30:28 -0600 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Well?
Anybody there still there?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6038531.shtml

Dang! Still waiting to hear back on how that impacted the tunnels
under the boarder. Back to the drawing board.
-
pyotr filipivich

OOOOOH!! Id not thought about those!! Damn.

I hope not too many camposinos got killed, and most of the drug
importers did, along with tons of their stock in trade.

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...hake/14565620/
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...65620.php#maps

If you felt it - there is a questionnaire that helps calibrate sensors
beyond what the lab does. The second hyperlink has more options.

It is between Mexicali and Guadalupe Victoria.

Martin

Bob La Londe wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Well?
Anybody there still there?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6038531.shtml

Felt pretty strong here in Yuma. I actually got up and walked outside.
When I checked USGS it said 5.9. Actually felt like a light quake, then
a heavier quake, and then some very light aftershocks. Lasted quite a
while as local quakes go.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yea - we were in that one big time.
My property - the 7 acres of coastal Redwoods - moved 7 feet north-west.
Some properties split apart. I want to say the house was less than ten
miles crow flies.

The chain saw (20") saw lots of use that week.

Martin

Winston wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
Well?
Anybody there still there?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6038531.shtml

Heh. You call that a quake?

--Winston -- Loma Prieta was a quake.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
news
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...hake/14565620/
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...65620.php#maps

If you felt it - there is a questionnaire that helps calibrate sensors
beyond what the lab does. The second hyperlink has more options.

Yep. I filled out the questionaire about 15 minutes after the last after
shock I felt. Maybe 30 minutes after the peak activity.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Let the Record show that cavelamb on or about
Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:30:28 -0600 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Well?
Anybody there still there?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6038531.shtml

Dang! Still waiting to hear back on how that impacted the tunnels
under the boarder. Back to the drawing board.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

It was actually caused by 3,000 illegals all running in unison for the
border outside Calexico. Set up a helluva vibration.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 17:29:18 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

cavelamb wrote:

Well?
Anybody there still there?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6038531.shtml

When the big one hits, everything East of the San Andreas fault is going
to break off and slide into the Atlantic Ocean.

That would be GREAT. Then I'd have ocean front property here in Apple
Valley. Well, actually, we'd be about 12 miles from the ocean, but
close enough!

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

cavelamb wrote:

Well?
Anybody there still there?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6038531.shtml

When the big one hits, everything East of the San Andreas fault is going
to break off and slide into the Atlantic Ocean.

That would be GREAT. Then I'd have ocean front property here in Apple
Valley. Well, actually, we'd be about 12 miles from the ocean, but
close enough!

Jim

But most of San Francisco would still be to the East of the fault.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 17:57:33 -0800, the infamous "Bill McKee"
scrawled the following:

.. .
wrote:

cavelamb wrote:

Well?
Anybody there still there?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n6038531.shtml

When the big one hits, everything East of the San Andreas fault is going
to break off and slide into the Atlantic Ocean.

That would be GREAT. Then I'd have ocean front property here in Apple
Valley. Well, actually, we'd be about 12 miles from the ocean, but
close enough!

Jim

But most of San Francisco would still be to the East of the fault.

http://geology.com/san-andreas-fault/ zoomable image

Wow, you're right. I thought it ran farther inland and farther north.
I can't see a Joshua Tree National Monument and Ocean Park, though.

Looky there, it passes right through Frazier Park, near the peak of
the Grapevine (I-5's tallest hill in CA). Taft will be close to the
new shoreline and probably grow immensely. g

Then again, California can't "fall off into the Pacific" because the
Pacific Plate is on top, overlapping the North American Plate.

--
Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness.
--Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 17:57:33 -0800, the infamous "Bill McKee"
scrawled the following:

. ..
wrote:

cavelamb wrote:

[...]

Tomales Bay is the fault line. Pt. Reyes actually lines up about 330 miles
south with the same rocks, etc. A couple million years and Los Angeles will
be next to San Francisco.