Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cool Metal Working Video: Building The Worlds Largest Truck

This video is about 43 minutes long, but is well worth watching. It
shows the construction process involved in building those huge
Catapiller dump trucks used at open pit mines around the world. In
this case, the end user is the Canadian tar sands mining project.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=273_1261968255

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 29, 8:17*pm, wrote:
This video is about 43 minutes long, but is well worth watching. It
shows the construction process involved in building those huge
Catapiller dump trucks used at open pit mines around the world. In
this case, the end user is the Canadian tar sands mining project.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=273_1261968255

Dave

Thanks, Dave. Watched part of it, will have to finist tomorrow night.
Interesting.
Bill.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 29, 7:17*pm, wrote:
This video is about 43 minutes long, but is well worth watching. It
shows the construction process involved in building those huge
Catapiller dump trucks used at open pit mines around the world. In
this case, the end user is the Canadian tar sands mining project.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=273_1261968255

Dave

Thanks for posting that video Dave.
In the mid 1970's I was hauling Cat equipment up to Fort MacMurray and
Mildred Lake. I can't remember what the model number was on those dump
trucks but even though they were huge they looked like midgets
compared to the CAT 767's. At that time there was one dump truck that
was larger than any Cat made. If I remember right they were LaTorneau
or something like that. I think they had an articulating frame though.
I wonder if they still make them. I believe the ones I remember were
partially made in Longview, Texas. Maybe somebody reading this can
give more details.

DL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"TwoGuns" wrote in message
On Dec 29, 7:17 pm, wrote:
[...]

http://www.letourneau-inc.com/mining/index.htm

is where your truck is found.

Flash

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

No f***ing way am I going to spend 43 minutes watching this. It's almost
midnight.
Oops, oh sh*t, I started the movie. Couldn't stop watching. Enjoyed it a
lot!!

Thanks Dave,
Ivan Vegvary
wrote in message
This video is about 43 minutes long, but is well worth watching. It
shows the construction process involved in building those huge
Catapiller dump trucks used at open pit mines around the world. In
this case, the end user is the Canadian tar sands mining project.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=273_1261968255

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 19:16:43 -0800 (PST), TwoGuns
wrote:

On Dec 29, 7:17*pm, wrote:
[...]

I believe the current winner is the Terex MT 6300AC
* Height: 26' 0" (7.9 meters)
* Length: 51' 1" (15.6 meters)
* GVW: 660 tons (660,000 kilograms)
* Payload: 400 tons (400,000 kilograms)
* Engine: 3,750 horsepower

The same company makes the largest excavator - with a 100 ton bucket
:-)
Regards,

J.B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

lid wrote:
This video is about 43 minutes long, but is well worth watching. It
shows the construction process involved in building those huge
Catapiller dump trucks used at open pit mines around the world. In
this case, the end user is the Canadian tar sands mining project.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=273_1261968255

Dave

Those trucks are kinda puny compared to the P&H shovels we make parts for:

http://www.phmining.com/PHMining/Mining-Equipment/Electric-Shovels/4100XPC.htm

No cool videos, though.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-30, David R.Birch wrote:
lid wrote:
This video is about 43 minutes long, but is well worth watching. It
shows the construction process involved in building those huge
Catapiller dump trucks used at open pit mines around the world. In
this case, the end user is the Canadian tar sands mining project.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=273_1261968255

Thanks Dave. I have watched all of it.

Kind of amazing.

Welding of one of those truck frames, takes 275 lbs of MIG wire.

Those trucks are kinda puny compared to the P&H shovels we make parts for:

http://www.phmining.com/PHMining/Mining-Equipment/Electric-Shovels/4100XPC.htm

No cool videos, though.

There is actually a lot of videos of this shovel on Youtube.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:02:33 -0600, "David R.Birch"
wrote:

Those trucks are kinda puny compared to the P&H shovels we make parts for:

http://www.phmining.com/PHMining/Mining-Equipment/Electric-Shovels/4100XPC.htm

No cool videos, though.

David

Now those are some pretty nice giant, huge, gargantuan toys. I think I
want one. I don't NEED one, but I want one.
Dave