Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dave

Default reconfiguring the worlds LARGEST toolbox "the monolith" (pix posted)

it's actually an all steel cabinet nearly seven feet tall, with 28 full
suspension drawers, from the courthouse downtown. it needs reconfigging,
newton :-) in a MAJOR way.

it's called an "acme visible rotomatic". the whole inner-drawers unit
thing, with all its drawers AND their contents all turn 'within their
own radius', like a huge lazy susan...we'll be changing THAT, too (my
use for a 'spinning top-like' toolbox is somewhat limited. your mileage
may vary ;-).

apparently was made this way so people in different rooms could access
the same cards, without leaving the room, by twisting the four ton
cabinet (or some bizarre thing?)

this thing is -gargantuan-. 28 huge drawers. but i =LIKE= it. see the pix

http://machines.awardspace.com/rotomatic/

toolie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin

I saw three of these at a recent surplus auction, and was trying to
figure out what to do with them. Sort of reminded me of those rotating
bookcases in old movies that let you into a secret passage behind a
wall.

I think they sold for about $35 for the lot of 3, probably because no
one else could think of a use, either.

Martin

dave wrote:
it's actually an all steel cabinet nearly seven feet tall, with 28 full
suspension drawers, from the courthouse downtown. it needs reconfigging,
newton :-) in a MAJOR way.

it's called an "acme visible rotomatic". the whole inner-drawers unit
thing, with all its drawers AND their contents all turn 'within their
own radius', like a huge lazy susan...we'll be changing THAT, too (my
use for a 'spinning top-like' toolbox is somewhat limited. your mileage
may vary ;-).

apparently was made this way so people in different rooms could access
the same cards, without leaving the room, by twisting the four ton
cabinet (or some bizarre thing?)

this thing is -gargantuan-. 28 huge drawers. but i =LIKE= it. see the pix

http://machines.awardspace.com/rotomatic/

toolie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wmbjk

On Tue, 23 May 2006 10:59:11 -0400, dave
wrote:

it's actually an all steel cabinet nearly seven feet tall, with 28 full
suspension drawers, from the courthouse downtown. it needs reconfigging,
newton :-) in a MAJOR way.

it's called an "acme visible rotomatic". the whole inner-drawers unit
thing, with all its drawers AND their contents all turn 'within their
own radius', like a huge lazy susan...we'll be changing THAT, too (my
use for a 'spinning top-like' toolbox is somewhat limited. your mileage
may vary ;-).

apparently was made this way so people in different rooms could access
the same cards, without leaving the room, by twisting the four ton
cabinet (or some bizarre thing?)

this thing is -gargantuan-. 28 huge drawers. but i =LIKE= it. see the pix

http://machines.awardspace.com/rotomatic/

toolie

That thing would be perfect for storing my HF catalogs.

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dave wrote:
it's actually an all steel cabinet nearly seven feet tall, with 28 full
suspension drawers, from the courthouse downtown. it needs reconfigging,
newton :-) in a MAJOR way.

it's called an "acme visible rotomatic". the whole inner-drawers unit
thing, with all its drawers AND their contents all turn 'within their
own radius', like a huge lazy susan...we'll be changing THAT, too (my
use for a 'spinning top-like' toolbox is somewhat limited. your mileage
may vary ;-).

apparently was made this way so people in different rooms could access
the same cards, without leaving the room, by twisting the four ton
cabinet (or some bizarre thing?)

this thing is -gargantuan-. 28 huge drawers. but i =LIKE= it. see the pix

http://machines.awardspace.com/rotomatic/

toolie

I've seen a number of space-saver filing systems in my time but nothing
like that. The ones I'm familiar with were low, like a long freezer
chest and the filing trays were oriented ala Ferris wheel, used for
vehicle registration at a large military base. Had power drive to pop
up the tray of interest. All replaced one weekend with a $500 PC.

I've seen something similar to that unit, only for tape storage, the
floor had rails embedded and the units slid out sideways on large
ball-bearing slides. The idea being that you could pack a large number
of units in a given area and just slide the one of interest out until
you could access what you needed. A bar could lock all movement if
required for security. Any signs of rail rollers, casters or sliders
on the bottom?

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Moore

There are several configurations of these tower file cabs. Some have file
or smaller drawers that pull out while others have dividers for holding file
folders on shelves. This kind is VERY popular with the medical profession.
Dentists, in particular, LOVE these file cabinets. They're used as office
dividers as they are accessible from both sides. They sell for around 2k
per unit. Next time you see some cheap like that, you may be looking
opportunity square in the eye. I've sold two for $750 each but I'll keep my
others for ME, MEW, HSM, PIM, etc. Just an FYI, if interested.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

oups.com...

dave wrote:
it's actually an all steel cabinet nearly seven feet tall, with 28 full
suspension drawers, from the courthouse downtown. it needs reconfigging,
newton :-) in a MAJOR way.

it's called an "acme visible rotomatic". the whole inner-drawers unit
thing, with all its drawers AND their contents all turn 'within their
own radius', like a huge lazy susan...we'll be changing THAT, too (my
use for a 'spinning top-like' toolbox is somewhat limited. your mileage
may vary ;-).

apparently was made this way so people in different rooms could access
the same cards, without leaving the room, by twisting the four ton
cabinet (or some bizarre thing?)

this thing is -gargantuan-. 28 huge drawers. but i =LIKE= it. see the pix

http://machines.awardspace.com/rotomatic/

toolie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin

Ron,

Which of the two types are the ones considered valuable?

Martin

Ron Moore wrote:
There are several configurations of these tower file cabs. Some have file
or smaller drawers that pull out while others have dividers for holding file
folders on shelves. This kind is VERY popular with the medical profession.
Dentists, in particular, LOVE these file cabinets. They're used as office
dividers as they are accessible from both sides. They sell for around 2k
per unit. Next time you see some cheap like that, you may be looking
opportunity square in the eye. I've sold two for $750 each but I'll keep my
others for ME, MEW, HSM, PIM, etc. Just an FYI, if interested.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

oups.com...

dave wrote:
it's actually an all steel cabinet nearly seven feet tall, with 28 full
suspension drawers, from the courthouse downtown. it needs reconfigging,
newton :-) in a MAJOR way.

it's called an "acme visible rotomatic". the whole inner-drawers unit
thing, with all its drawers AND their contents all turn 'within their
own radius', like a huge lazy susan...we'll be changing THAT, too (my
use for a 'spinning top-like' toolbox is somewhat limited. your mileage
may vary ;-).

apparently was made this way so people in different rooms could access
the same cards, without leaving the room, by twisting the four ton
cabinet (or some bizarre thing?)

this thing is -gargantuan-. 28 huge drawers. but i =LIKE= it. see the pix

http://machines.awardspace.com/rotomatic/

toolie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Moore

The one that I find most sought after is the shelf type with the divider
plates that will hold patient file folders so the tab labels are easy to
see. Basically, an open-sided file cabinet.
Ron

ups.com...